cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 35

BT HD channels missing & slow speed via powerline

Just recently got BT TV with HD. The BT ultra box is connected via powerline to SH6, with infinity 52Mb speed.

Also have a PS4 connected to the powerline and before BT was getting 30Mbps speed.

Now on PS4 the speeds are dire, less than 3Mbps, and the BT HD channels, HD sports etc, just aren't there with a blank screen, goto SD BT sports and it's there.

In the same room using my phone WiFi speeds are 30-40Mbps, so I'm presuming it's powerline and/or the BT box?

I've powered everything off/on reset it all etc etc. The PS4 worked fine with same powerline and confections previously on other ISP, so not sure what's happened.

Can anyone help, I've paid for HD, the PS4 is now unplayable online, whereas before was fine.

Thanks
0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 35

Re: BT HD channels missing & slow speed via powerline

Basic fault finding first. If you unplug PS4 from the powerline do you get the HD channels? If you unplug BT TV from the powerline adapter does the PS4 speed return? If the answer to both the above is yes then somehow they are interfering OR more likely the powerline adapter isn't managing it properly. One solution - unfortunately requires a little extra cost - is to buy a powered network switch (about £10 on ebay for a 5 port hub). Plug your powerline output into that then plug your network cables into the switch. I use this solution and have about 7 devices sharing the network connection (including xbox one and BT Ultra box) and all work fine
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 35

I'll try that thanks. I have got them BT HD a few times, think restarted everything.

I do have a powered hub at three moment as also have Apple TV connected via it all to
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 35

Actually not getting SD BT sports either tonight...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 35

Reset,unplugged, power cycled, reconnected from powerline to hub then to BT TV and PS4.

HD working for now, although do have some breakup of picture.

Also the PS4 still has dire speeds, getting 5Mbps still a lot lower than when it was connected previously with another ISP.

What has happened??
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 35

Basically you need to determine whether you've got a broadband issue, a powerline adapter issue, a network hub issue. Its NOT likely to be anything to do with the BT Ultra box if you're continuing to have problems on the PS4. From the way you've said things below it sounds like you've changed to BT broadband at the same time as getting BT TV?

If you plug the PS4 directly into the powerline adapter i.e. not the powered switch. Do you still get dire speeds? Can you plug a laptop into the powerline adapter and do a speed test to see what you actually get over this adapter? if the speed is dire then it points to a powerline adapter issue (assuming the test below is okay). If the speed from the powerline adapter is okay that point to a network switch issue (order one on Amazon to try and then return if all okay?)

If you are still getting issues with something directly plugged into the Powerline adapter then you need to plug something directly into the Home Hub and test that (take the lead from the powerline adapater that the hub is plugged into and use that). I am assuming that generally you are getting WiFi in the home okay? if so then that suggests the broadband coming in is fine.

You may just be unlucky that your network switch and/or powerline adapter have got a fault.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 35

Appreciate help and can see where your coming from. What's strange is everything was ok before with Sky. Only difference was my Sky+ box was on WiFi and worked fine.

Yes changed to BT BB and TV at same time.

I've tried the PS4 direct into powerline and same rubbish speeds, whereas previously on Sky was fine.

I've been checking all the time using speedtest app on my iPhone for WiFi speeds and they seem fine.

What I had before was, as my powerline had 2 Ethernet ports, the PS4 plugged direct to powerline and other socket to the hub with BT TV etc on. Now put everything through the hub but same.

I tried just the PS4 to the powerline and still dire speeds. I could buy a massive long cable and connect direct to the hub I suppose to the BT TV to see if works?

I found a speed test in the BT section of the BT TV box and ran, it said you can get HD but not ultra, mind is the ultra YouView box, whereas my BB speed I should I think at 52Mbps. Although pointless as I don't have an ultra HD TV, but speed wise I should. It doesn't show the speed though just a yes/no. Unlike the PS4 which shows your download and upload speed on a test.

I could borrow a laptop suppose to plug into the powerline and see, good idea.

Overall as nothing changed from wiring side, apart from BT TV is wired rather than Sky on WiFi, my BB speed has had an increase but PS4 has dropped dramatically, and the BT TV HD is rubbish...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 35

I would say that the issue is with the powerline adapters, they cannot cope with the extra speed needed, and all the multicast data as well, which is needed for the YouView box.

The multicast streams are overloading them, which is why the PS4 is slow as well.

It may be better to try totally different adapters.

See http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/broadband-extenders

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 35

Will my original adapters still be ok to use for other devices just not the BT box? eg could I use old adapters on my PCs and still interface ok with these BT powerline?

Also not sure what the multi-cast issue is but would having an Apple router in between be an issue to? I've got the BT Smart hub 6 connected to an Apple router (time capsule) with the BT hub WiFi switched off and using the Apple WiFi.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 35

Tried Netflix on the BT TV box also, and HD film and worked absolutely fine. Good picture and started quickly between movies when testing so although powerline seems to be working, maybe the above is an issue for the BT TV HD? Multi-cast?
0 Ratings