cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 35

Re: BT HD channels missing & slow speed via powerline

Plan to do this later yes. I've bought a long Ethernet cable to go direct from the BT TV to three BT smart hub.

Currently my powerline has 2 Ethernet ports yes, I've only got one plugged in at moment to a powered hub though. It used to be PS4>powerline and BT TV>powerline though and didn't work then either
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 22 of 35

I use a powerline to connect the hub to a switch (and then multiple units connected to the switch)  When I connected a NOW TV box, I had loss of BT channels.  The cure for me was to replace the old unbranded switch with a Netgear product I had spare

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 35

You replaced the switch (the one with multiple confections), not the powerline adapter?

I've tried just the BT TV to the powerline direct though and still the same unfortunately.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 24 of 35

HI, To explain.  I have a powerline with one ethernet connector.  This connects to a switch.  This is a box with multiple ethernet sockets, usually 6+.  When I first connected a NOW TV box to the switch, my BT Sport stopped working.  I cured this by changing the switch for a branded product (same speed)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 25 of 35

I would suggest trying the following

• Connect your hub direct to the BT TV using the long ethernet cable you said you planned to buy.  If this is OK, it suggests your powerlines are the problem.  I use Devolo which work for me OK
  • If the direct cableworks and is a possible long term option, I suggest you buy a simple netgear switch and trying that to connect to your BT and PS4
  • If its not a long term option, try alternate powerline units
  • If the Hub to Bt doesnt work using a direct cable, then I suspect your hub or download speed is an issue

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 35

Ok thanks. What make and model powerline do you have please.

I've just ran a long cable from BT TV direct to BT hub and BT sport HD etc worked perfectly.

I've connected a long cable from PS4 direct to the BT hub and getting speeds around 65Mbps!

So the powerline and/or powered Ethernet hub are at fault. I've contacted BT who are sending me some BT powerline adapters. I really hope these work but wonder why TP link ones aren't, or at least are sporadic and slow
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 27 of 35

HI mine are Devolo, 200Mb old units, these are similar

DEVOLO dLAN Duo 500 Powerline Adapter Add-on

Sounds like your BT hub is OK. 

Do you have an ethernet switch?  or do you mean the BT Hub when you say Ethernet hub?

Do you know how many ports (sockets) the BT Powerline adaptors have?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 28 of 35

The BT hub is the BT smart Hub/router. The Ethernet hub is my powered switch that I plug my devices into.

I think the BT hub/router is fine as WiFi and other internet working ok.

Not sure on the BT ones being sent tbh
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 29 of 35

Do you have

• BT hub, wired to your switch
  • Switch connected to BT TV and  PS4
  • BT TV and PS4 both working at same time?

ps I realised the last link was not quite correct, this is the nearest to what I use

DEVOLO dLAN 500 Duo Powerline Adapter Kit - Twin Pack

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 35

No I have BT hub/router connected to a TPlink powerline.

Then the other powerline connected to an Ethernet powered hub/switch.

Then BT TV and PS4 connected to the Ethernet hub/switch.

I haven't had the PS4 or BT TV internet channels working properly since getting BT BB/TV
0 Ratings