cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

BT HH 4 - GigE port - connection to switch

Anyone know how I can connect the GigE port to a switch at 1Gbps?

• I connect the HH4 GigE port to my computer and it does so at 1Gbps (according to Windows XP)
  • I connect my computer to a netgear GS608 and it does so at 1Gbps (according to Netgear status lights and Windows XP)
  • I connect the HH4 GigE port to the GS608 and it does so at 100Mbps!! (according to the status lights on the GS608)

Cat 5 cable used - BT Home Hub 4 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.10 | Last updated 20/08/13

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT HH 4 - GigE port - connection to switch

Have you had a look at the port on the HH4 under Advanced Management>Home Network?

Connect your PC to the Netgear, connect the Netgear to the HH4 and then look at the device list, select the PC connected to the Netgear ... if it is running at 1G it should show something like....

Connection Information
Connection type:Ethernet
Connection speed:1000 Mbps
Connection status:Currently connected

This is showing part of my page for my Apple Time Capsule/AAE in WAP mode (I don't use the inbuilt WiFi on the HH4) - it is connected by a Gigabit unmanaged switch to the GigE port and is happily running at 1G

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Sure enough it shows just 100Mbps 😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Are you using the same cable with these connections?

I had this issue with my HH3 to my GS108 and it turned out to be a Cat5 cable I was using instead of cat5e. Whether it was damaged or just the fact it was Cat5 I don't know.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 14

correct about cable.

Cat5 is not suited for Gig speeds.

Cat5E can cope but again would be the weak link if the hardware can utilize the speeds.

Your switch maybe picking up the inablilitly of the Cat5 cable to produce the right speeds and is auto switching down to maxamize stability. Borrow or buy a Cat6 cable and try that out 🙂

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

All cables I've used operate at 1Gbps (according to Netgear) until I connect the switch and the HH4 with them

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Devices use the Ethernet link pulse to negotiate speed and mode of operation. To operate at 1Gb, everything has to be perfect, otherwise devices will negotiate a lower speed.

There can also be compatibility issues with different hardware devices. Sometimes this can be overcome by forcing a network card to only use 1Gb full duplex. This is not usually an option on network switches.

All you can do is to try Cat6 cable, and see if it helps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

I am having the same problem.

I use a 1Gig LAN using Netgear switches. Just joined BT broadband and got my new HH4 when connecting it with its supplied cable to my PC it negotiates at 1 Gig (checked by looking at advanced settings/network in HH4 GUI). However, when using the same cable to connect it to my Netgear GS605v2 5 port Gig switch, its seems to only want to negotiate at a speed of 100M (100M seen in HH4 GUI and Netgear orange light and not green one) have tried different 5e and 6 cables and different ports. I would confirm I am using the Gig port in the HH4. I only connect ASDL2+ at 16M so not an issue, but would prefer it to negotiate at the correct speed! Is this a typical HH4 issue, or does it just work with some manufacturers switches and not others.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

I will answer this my self. I bought a new switch and swoped out the Netgear one for an 8 way Gig switch by BT. And guess what it worked!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 14

You can set the speed and duplex on all copper ports on network switches, but not usually on fibre ports.

The 1Gbps standard insists on auto-negotiation though so manually setting the parameters is not recommended.

If negotiation doesn't settle at 1Gbps between two devices even though the cabling has been tested and proven to be working you should try to use a crossover instead of a straight-through (or vice-versa) to mitigate the possibility of auto-mdix causing a problem.

0 Ratings