Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sage
Message 31 of 38

Re: BT HH3 wireless issue

Stop cherrypicking.Smiley Very Happy You missed quoting this bit

"The N spec is able to use 40MHz of bandwidth for increased data rates, but to maintain compatibility with legacy systems, it requires one main 20MHz channel plus a free adjacent channel at ±20MHz. The main channel is used for legacy (a/b/g) or other clients that aren't able to transmit at 40MHz. The spec also requires the whole WLAN to only use the main 20MHz channel if it detects anything using the additional 20MHz channel."

Check the graphs I've posted . All the relevant info is there for you. (Read screenshots instead of graphs.)

As I've said to quite a few people in the past. "Read what's in front of you, not what you think is in front of you."

The clues are in the graphs as is the information.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 32 of 38

i ref the whole article for ref by anyone

and pick imp points from it to backup my argument i see nothing to back up yours

your getting vague now saying its all in the graph 🙂 deflection and avoidance id say 🙂

rem im mainly dealing with 2.4 ghz ranges

what id like is people to understand all this when they set up wirless so they make the best choice for all around them inc themselves and neighbours

the part u quote just backs up what i said and am saying, so i dont get what u are trying to say?

all that quote u refer to means is

if the AP sees anything else it should drop down to 20hz which i said, so u go back to effectifly single band N rates (150mbps approx instead of 300mbps again something people dont realise)

an interesting thing to find out would be if that happens then is the 40mhz bit definatly left free not causing interfence? but there for if it can be used?

this part seems to imply its still bad

Effectively to use this feature, you will block 7–9 of the 13 channels and, of course, ch12 and ch13 aren't available in North America. So yes, it's possible that your neighbors will hate you if you turn this option on. This is why there was a lot of pushback at the end of the final IEEE 802.11n ratification to entirely ban 40Mhz in 2.4GHz. That didn't happen as 40MHz is still appropriate for some situations (ie: a warehouse) but the bottom line remains, enabling 40MHz in the 2.4GHz band isn't a good idea for dense residential areas.

id like to confirm that though

still dosent change anything ive said though.

whats your point?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 33 of 38

I just tried changing my hub to channel 6 and checked with inSSIDer, which confirmed that my wireless signal was then the farthest possible distance from neighbouring signals. However, my download speed then dropped from 17MB to 0.28MB! I've changed it back to channel 5 and all is well again. I have a new network adapter coming in the next few days, so I shall repeat the experiment with that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 34 of 38

ah well that will please pippin hehe

and seems to contradict the experts and science, but it dosent mean that its wrong.

u may or someone near you have some other device a phone, baby monitor or something putting out rf interfernce effecting 6 more so than 5

i have found info that some say u can use  1,5,9,13 and the resulting interence isnt that bad from the other channels as long as people all stick to this and not 1 ,3 ,4 5,6 8, 10 11 etc in high density areas

so u r lucky brain with just 2 people  on 1 and 11 (if i got that right) so stay with what works for you

alot of stuff effects wireless so long as people understand the info and test to be the best they can for themselves and for neighbours

like pippin hes far enough away from neighbours to use his channel bonding N so hey why not which is probably his point 🙂

but ill say as long as uknow how it works then u can find the best compromise for u and all around u

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 35 of 38

@spar wrote:

ah well that will please pippin hehe

Yes, my argument all along!

and seems to contradict the experts and science, but it dosent mean that its wrong.

u may or someone near you have some other device a phone, baby monitor or something putting out rf interfernce effecting 6 more so than 5

i have found info that some say u can use  1,5,9,13 and the resulting interence isnt that bad from the other channels as long as people all stick to this and not 1 ,3 ,4 5,6 8, 10 11 etc in high density areas

so u r lucky brain with just 2 people  on 1 and 11 (if i got that right) so stay with what works for you

alot of stuff effects wireless so long as people understand the info and test to be the best they can for themselves and for neighbours

like pippin hes far enough away from neighbours to use his channel bonding N so hey why not which is probably his point 🙂

No, Neighbour is just the other side of a single-skinned connecting wall!

but ill say as long as uknow how it works then u can find the best compromise for u and all around u

Yes, my argument all along!Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 36 of 38

lol pippin 🙂

by faraway i dont just mean distance, i should also have said there signal strength is weak in realtion to where u r and see from them.

i still say u need to know and understand what i said to be able to find the right compromise and cause the least effect on neighbours and yourself.

brain was lucky and u r as well

and i am unanimous in that 🙂

if all of you and neighbours were on similar strength signals my argument and point and the science is valid

too many dont understand it and cause detrimental behaviour to neighbours

for eg where i am in high density flats its crowded, many on similar strength signals with people trying all diff random channels n bonding and not knowing whos on strong signals or not

they just pick  a channel instead of being nice to each other

in this situation u would see what i saying has more effect then in your low density areas, which is why people need to understand it.

its a good interesting discussion anyways :).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 37 of 38

Sorry I haven't answered sooner but I've been away.Smiley Very Happy

Unfortuately both you and BT are still stuck in "old tech" , yourself with wireless g standards and BT only suppying a single N band HH.

Not your fault but a decent discussion.

You will note that the OP has trried your solution which did't work.Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 38 of 38

omg pippin i was ending on a nice note

u clearly havent read or understood the articles i ref

for eg this one

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration

see it even states wireless N and talks about all the things i mention

to quote yourself

'As I've said to quite a few people in the past. "Read what's in front of you, not what you think is in front of you."

the diagrams are taken from that

you statement about old tech is therefore clearly misleading and just plain wrong, it isnt old tech, just where are u getting this idea from?

(some articles ref g but principles are the same dont u get that?)

i was ending this on a nice note but i do think u owe me an apology for stating that im stuck in old tech

which is plainly wrong.

this isnt discussing 5ghz ranges which is the latest tech and then latest in waiting being 3 streaming AP and clients and the next wifi hpye being super wifi in the tv white space , 802.11af

and please dont patronise me by saying not my fault , it was beneath u and not needed

u still fail to realise that the science is correct if all on same strength etc and no other rf interence

and will help u make the right choices

the fact your neighours have weak signals to u mean u see no bad effects and i accept u can choose differently here

i thought we agreed on that

but in high denisty areas u will see more detrimental effect

ps bt supplies the hh3 which will do 40hz N and as u know u can buy your own

jeez i dont understand the reason for your nasty last post

just no need

0 Ratings