cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT HH3 (worst router EVER!)

Im not posting because I want your help, I'm quite capable of helping myself.

Im posting to vent my frustration with BT shipping out **bleep** hardware and charging me P&P for the privilege.

The HH3 cant even hold a wireless connection for longer than 5 minutes.

Has nothing to do with channels

Has nothing to do with devices

Has nothing to do with b/g/n wireless standards (though knowing BT, nothing is standard)

Has nothing to do with encryption settings

Has nothing to do with user error

HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH cheap **bleep** hardware

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT HH3 (worst router EVER!)

try disable the auto channel switching.

Also why did you pay for P&P. A new connection means free new hardware.

Im afraid you got bumped.

Over the past 6 years Ive got new equipment every 12 months for free (no charges at all)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

LOL I'm not surprised, I've been "bumped" every day as a BT customer, so I'm used to it anyway!

Check this out, somebody please explain the logic to me....

BT Infinity modem, plugged in since engineer install

Homehub 3 connected - I get 37mb/s down

Draytek router connected - I get 22mb/s down

Seems like anti-competetive behaviour to me, considering both routers were connected to the same **bleep**ing modem

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 8

@FlamingDeath wrote:

LOL I'm not surprised, I've been "bumped" every day as a BT customer, so I'm used to it anyway!

Check this out, somebody please explain the logic to me....

BT Infinity modem, plugged in since engineer install

Homehub 3 connected - I get 37mb/s down

Draytek router connected - I get 22mb/s down

Seems like anti-competetive behaviour to me, considering both routers were connected to the same **bleep**ing modem

So lets get this straight HH3 gives 37 Mb/s and the Draytek gives 22 Mb/s so in what way is the HH3 the worst router ever?

Seriously something is screwed somewhere can you run the BT Spedtester to check the IP profile as that will indicate what your modem is syncing at. Know you did not want help. Where in the UK are you as there are problems in the NW tonight.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Look its simple

plug in HH3, do speedtest, look at result

plug in draytek, do speedtest, look at result

rinse & repeat

You've missed the point, the modem is syncing to a speed and it passes its data over an ETHERNET cable, how the **bleep** does 15mb/s vanish across a few metres of CAT5e cable, depending on what router is connected!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

This draytek router has been plugged into a Virgin cable modem and achieved over 50mb/s easily, so nothing wrong with the router. Must be BTs anti-competetive nature thats the problem here

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 8

I am not missing your point as there is no explanation if the tests were really done back to back and nothing else changed so I was suggesting you lookat what else may have changed.

There is no way I can see where BT can configure a PPPOE connection to favour their router over another and the modem uses a vanilla PPPOE interface. Other users have reported using a wide range of routers with no issue. Unless BT have configured your modem to spy on you of course?

For the record the HH3 is not the best router in the world but it is far from being the worst as it works well for hundreds of thousands of users. Like all ISP provided routers it is locked down and produced to a price to minimise product and support costs.

Clearly you meant it when you said you did not want help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

So after you switched off one router and plugged in the next one did you leave it before you ran a speedtest?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings