cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

BT HH5 and Airport Extreme, Static IPs and Windows Home Server

I am making the switchover from talktalk to BT infinity - my setup at the moment is that I have the talktalk modem/router in modem only mode - this allows me to keep all my internal newtwork- static IPs and port forwarding for my WHS as they were when I was with virgin media

From what I have read the HH5 can't be used in modem only mode and one of my options is to use my AEBS in bridge mode wiring it from LAN on HH to WAN on AEBS.

Does using the AEBS in bridge mode and turning off wireless of HH5 allow me to keep my internal network as is and will I still be able to access my server out and about or will I have to do the port forwarding on the HH5

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT HH5 and Airport Extreme, Static IPs and Windows Home Server

Much simpler to just buy an Openreach modem from the well known auction site or a Draytek VDSL modem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

I think the draytek is out of my price range Smiley Surprised

I have been looking on that well known auction site, are all the openreach modems capable of the same?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

The Huawei ones have G.Inp capability, the ECI ones don't. You don't need an unlocked one unless you want to look at detailed line stats.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

How can you tell which is which?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

The listing should say which type it is.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

It does on most of the listings. If it doesn't say which type it is, I would suspect it is an ECI one as the Huawei ones attract a better price due to their G.Inp capability.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Thanks for the replies - I'm not on superfast, I get 11Mb just now on regular talktalk BT say I can expect 15-22Mb when I make the change

Will it matter much if I get ECI over G-Inp?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

It depends on the condition of your line and what manufacturer cabinet you are connected to. G.Inp is a technology that deals with impulse noise on a line in a more effective way than applying the traditional methods of error correction and results in less of a speed drop. If your line is susceptible to noise, G.Inp will be a better option, if it is a good line then it won't matter. If price is more critical than every last Mbs of speed then ECI is perhaps the way to go.