Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smartly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

BT HH5 and fibre - slow wifi

Go to solution

I switched to BT fibre 38mb in March and have had problems ever since, only with wifi speeds.

I've got 2.4 and 5 GHz set up with different SSIDs. After a reset or power off/on I get up to 37 mbps, put after a couple of hours it slows down to about 13 mbps.

I've got iphone, Sony TV, Sky box connected to wifi, Sky goes to 2.4 rest to 5ghz but really my desktop is the only thing that gets any use. I've also got a laptop that I connect via wifi 2.4 and ethernet to check speeds. I've tried turning all off apart from the desktop but makes no difference. I'm using a TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter.

I've contacted BT a few times and they sent me a new BTHub5 after logging onto my PCs remotely to confirm the problem, but that still has the same problem.

Note - ethernet speed is always 38mbps or above.

Desktop is in a different room to hub about 30 feet away with almost a direct line of site.

I've tried changing channels and also using 2.4 and 5 but wifi speed still drops with time. Sometimes after aboiut 3 hours. If I reboot hub or change channel speed immediatley recovers but then drops again.

Now here is where it gets weird and I hop somebody can explain as I can't. I've been using Inssider3 and Netspot to view the local networks and this is what I have noticed. There are two other BT Hubs by me I can pick up and they used to show different channels to me but since I swapped my channel the first time they now always show the same channel as mine and in fact you can see them apparently swap over within a couple of minutes of me changing. Sureley I can't change their channels without access to their network or not knowing their passwords, but both Inssider3 and Netspot appear to show that happening. So on the face of it the wifi channels are congested.

Getting to be a long first post.

Having done various searches on here and on the wider internet it seems that the speed with time on wifi is a fairly common problem but only possible solution over what I've tried is a new router/modem. Is that right?

Any help / advice appreciated.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT HH5 and fibre - slow wifi

Go to solution

when selecting the channel have you tried using channel 13 for 2.4ghz and often that is least congested as dome router don't have that option

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
smartly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Yes, I've tried 3, 5, 8, 11 and 13 if I remember correctly.

0 Ratings
smartly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution
Any other ideas anybody?
0 Ratings
samyeung
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Moved to BT a while ago and having the same issue with HH5(b).  Exactly as you describe:  On startup full speed (75+Mbps) over wired, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.  After a period of time throughput over wireless drops, 5Ghz seems slightly worse. 

I worked around the problem by adding a wireless base station configured with the same SSID.  Prior to that I had to reboot the HH5 every few days to fix things like youtube buffering. 

Recently needed to move my wireless base station to another part of the house connected via powerline so the problems exposed again.  I've spent a few evenings searching and trying various suggestions for similar issues, but nothing seems to stick.  I want to avoid paying for an plugging in yet another network gadget to work around the short commings of BTs HH5, so interested to hear how you got on.

I too phoned up BT support when I first had the problem and they sent out a new HH5, which has exactly the same problem.

BTW, Its likely the two BT SSIDs you see following yours when you change channels are the BT public cloud sharing of your broadband connection from your router.

0 Ratings
smartly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Well my 2.4ghz has stayed at a good wifi speed ( 35+ ) for a number of days, 5ghz still down at below half.

The other two I see are my neighbours, I've asked them what their SSIDs are plus one has "FON" in the SSID.

I've swapped desktop over to 2.4ghz now to get the speed, Sky box uses this network anyway. When my son visits net if I haven';t bought a replacement router we are going to hardwire up from the router in the bedroom, into the loft and down into the office / bedroom where the desktop is.

0 Ratings
stuart_c
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

if one is FON and the other is X then they are both from your hub. They are the free ones available to other BT users.

As I understand it 2.4 travels through walls and things better than 5, maybe that is your problem!

smartly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

There's 2 BTWifi-X and 2 BTWIfi-with-FON, so are these from my hub? Can I turn them off?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

One of each will be from your hub and the others will be from a nearby hub

you can opt out but you wil no longer be able to access btwifi when out and about

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

By default there's only a single BTWifi-X and BTWifi-with-FON from the home Hub, but because you've split the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless signals there's one of each for each frequency.

You can check current status and opt out from the BT WiFi page, but as imjolly says, you lose free BT WiFi access from other hotspots.

Regards