cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 31

Re: BT HOME HUB 5 - Connection problems with Facebook/snapchat/youtube and netflix

IPv6 has a long history and has been rolling out very slowly across the globe. It has been transitioning from experimental tunnels to native deployment for years. Some companies really push it hard (Apple, Google, Microsoft) on devices and so use it preferentically there by default. And typically only well resourced websites support it early because of the additional admin costs of running both IPv4 and IPv6.

BT has got busy rolling it out this year:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/11/bt-broadband-lines-now-support-ipv6-internet-addresses....

If you are interested, Google has global stats to peruse:

https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

PS it'd probably help others to mark this thread as solved when you have time.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 31

Re: BT HOME HUB 5 - Connection problems with Facebook/snapchat/youtube and netflix

@flamethrower wrote:

The websites you are having issues with are the same as:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/BT-Home-Hub-5-problems-accessing-some-websites-a...

The most recent post on the thread you linked to was created by the OP of this thread. The latest posts prior to that were 8 months old and prior to that over a year old. Due to the double posting it was resulting in duplication of answers. I have now merged the OPs posts.

0 Ratings
cazzasim
Beginner
Message 23 of 31

im abit lost now the merging of posts. on phone to bt trying to see if there is away around ipv6 or a fix for it. it is defonetly ipv6 that is causing the isue works fine when it is disabled on laptop also i have tried rebooting hub and problem still there with mobiles and other devices. so reboot or reset doesnt work. only if there was a way to disable it becouse it is causing me problems 😕

0 Ratings
cazzasim
Beginner
Message 24 of 31

reboot and reset doesnt work i still have same issue

0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 31

Oops, thank you!
0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 31

@cazzasim

I don't suppose you have a third party router that supports IPv6 you can try?

If you did then you could change the DNS servers in the router, I think this is looking more like a DNS resolution issue than anything else.  IPv6 has been flawless here for the 16 months it's been active.

0 Ratings
cazzasim
Beginner
Message 27 of 31

okay so you cant disable ipv6 atoll according to bt as all of there connections run through ipv6 so why can i disable it on my comuter and still load websites 😕 - they have suggested sending out a new hub but worried if this would acctually fix my problem as it will still have ipv6?

it seems to be the secure connections that i cant connect to

disabiling ipv6 on the pc works but cant disable on all devices

all tests run by bt are green and no problem anywhere

so they wont send me a new hub 😞

problem still not fixed and now im annoyed at bt becouse they told me i dont have any problems BUT I DO

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 28 of 31

@cazzasim. Not sure about your point "it seems to be the secure connections that i cant connect to". Do you mean that if you connect using IPv6 to http://<some_website> it will work, but https://<some_website> will fail? The traceroute you pasted earlier makes the issue look a little more fundamental as you were getting no response to any of the probes.

What do you see if you enable IPv6 on the PC and run ping -6 www.netflix.com and then run ping -6 2a01:578:3::341e:3b51.

@gg30340. Any chance you could point one of the moderators to take a look at this? I suspect all the tests that BT are undertaking are testing lower than the IP layer, and those at the IP layer are probably IPv4 only.

0 Ratings
cazzasim
Beginner
Message 29 of 31

@smf22

Output is pasted below 

Still not working according to bt it is so im paying £40 a month for google searches how do i point a moderator?

ping -6 www.netflix.com

Pinging www.eu-west-1.prodaa.netflix.com [2a01:578:3::36ab:de23] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 2a01:578:3::36ab:de23:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

ping -6 2a01:578:3::341e:3b51

Pinging 2a01:578:3::341e:3b51 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 2a01:578:3::341e:3b51:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 31

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take over 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings