cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gemmagib
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT HOTSPOT HELP

I am in range of a BT fon hotspot which has been working fine for months.
I'm a BT customer with the app and log on.
Now my device is not finding the wifi to connect to even tho I am 100% within the range and my wifi is turned on.
Basically my device has just stopped picking up the hotspot:
Has this happened to anyone else?
If so how can I resolve it?
Many thanks
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT HOTSPOT HELP

A BTWifi - Fon hotspot is usually transmitted from a private customers Homehub. If the person turns off the Homehub or opts out of providing the free hotspot the signal will no longer be transmitted. It could also be that the person's Homehub needs to be re-set.

In any event there is nothing you or BT can do to get the hotspot transmitting again as there is no obligation for the private customer to provide the signal.

deepershades
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

I had a similar issue several months back, and received the usual stock answers before being decried for not listening. My solution was to pick up a netgear wifi extender, which gave access to a number of additional hotspots I couldn't otherwise reach, and the stability is top drawer now. Don't get me wrong, it's an expensive product and it can't correct a signal that isn't broadcasting as it should be, but if you know there are multiple hotspots in your area you may want to weigh up the financials, as I had to spend about £90.00 or enter into a 12-month broadband package with a third party, and I went with the former. The sages on here won't help you, and will infer it's part of a contract that is beyond regulation. Leave the legal implications of that to one side, do your homework, and know that there are avenues available to you. I was disgusted by the way I was spoken to on here. The impetus just needs to come from you unfortunately......
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

@deepershades wrote:
I had a similar issue several months back, and received the usual stock answers before being decried for not listening. My solution was to pick up a netgear wifi extender, which gave access to a number of additional hotspots I couldn't otherwise reach, and the stability is top drawer now. Don't get me wrong, it's an expensive product and it can't correct a signal that isn't broadcasting as it should be, but if you know there are multiple hotspots in your area you may want to weigh up the financials, as I had to spend about £90.00 or enter into a 12-month broadband package with a third party, and I went with the former. The sages on here won't help you, and will infer it's part of a contract that is beyond regulation. Leave the legal implications of that to one side, do your homework, and know that there are avenues available to you. I was disgusted by the way I was spoken to on here. The impetus just needs to come from you unfortunately......

I hardly think that you refusing to listen to what you were told constitutes the 'Sages' being unhelpful.

deepershades
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

It's not really an assumption you need to make, as whether they were helpful or not is something that can be evaluated independently.... If you're in a position to evidence what they did, by all means, put your cards on the table.
0 Ratings
1nf0
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

This very same thing happened to me. I had moved, a very arduous task to get the broadband up and going due to various issues. Long story short. I was using the BT wifi of a neighbour near our house. After 2weeks the connection wouldn't be made by said BT wifi hotspot. Ie show up wifi symbol. But was visible. Only way I can explain it is BT "might" have some kind of abuse policy in place. Not wanting to slow the connection all too often of the said wifi hotspot. Personal opinion/theory.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

BT have no control over the BTWIFI network from residential home hubs.  More likely the owner of the hub was maxing out his connection leaving nothing for people connecting to BTWIFI

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings