cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

BT Help not recognising primary email address

Oh dear me. Now what. I wish to investigate what happens to the BTYahoo system of "primary" and "secondary" status, and whether they can be swapped around more easily under the new BTMail once migrated, so went here . Entered the correct primary address and first saw this

BTMailHelp_notRecog.jpg

so tried again, thinking I might have made a typo and got this:

EmailNoHelp.jpg

I've been a BT customer for many years and have used this primary address for all that time.

I am incredulous. What a bunch of incompetent numbskulls.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Help not recognising primary email address

They recognise me today. But that page is useless to me. It doesn't lead to general information about the new email, or FAQs etc, but to a step-by-step flow process to help with a limited range of scenarios, none of which is significant.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

This is the fundamental problem with any BT help. It is all done in the form of question and answer or how to perform a limited set of operations. Nowhere gives a description of how things work and go together. It's a major failing.

Highlighted
Message 4 of 11

@licquorice wrote:

This is the fundamental problem with any BT help. It is all done in the form of question and answer or how to perform a limited set of operations. Nowhere gives a description of how things work and go together. It's a major failing.

I have a major failing too - words. Except what I said earlier - incompetent numbskulls.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Highlighted
Message 6 of 11

Thanks gg30340. I'm trying to get my head around that, but one of the links in the first page to which you linked I seem to recall because it reads:

Previously, you needed to have a username and password to access BT.com and another username and password to access your email. We know this was confusing and often made it difficult to get access to the things you wanted.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48683/c/346

I, the primary account holder, had no problem whatsoever using two different sets of data, and was glad of the security. The secondary account holders needed just the one name and p/w.

The secondary account holders don't need Smart talk, Net protect and access to the Bills.

It is such load of utter codswallop, that I just leave the flippin page because I start to fume at such patronising BS.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

I agree that it is an unnecessary change and a possible security problem having your MyBT BTID and your BTMail log on and password the same. I to had separate log ons and passwords for them but in order to continue with the migration process you will need to, in the short term, make them the same.

Once migrated, as you are aware, forum member dilosec has posted a work around if you wish to give them different passwords. See this thread for that.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/BT-ID-and-main-email-same-email-address-different-passwords/td-p/1...

Once you are migrated none of the secondary account holders to whom you have "gifted" their email address have access to Smart talk, Net protect or your bill. They set up their own BTID and all they have access to and control over is their own email account. ie they can change the password at will or if they forget it.

You, as the BT account holder will have no access to these email accounts other than to be able to delete them. You can not change their password if they are forgotten and you can not access them.

The only "sub accounts" you would have control of are any new ones that you set up and do not "gift"  They are in effect new email addresses totally owned and accessible by you or ones "(sub accounts) that are presently set up and you don't "gift". ie you may presently have one as your main email account and one for your work.

It is all actually very easy to do and logical when you actually are migrated and see it in practice.

Highlighted
Message 8 of 11

@gg30340 wrote:
..............................They set up their own BTID and all they have access to and control over is their own email account.....................................

Thanks again gg30340. I'm probably being very thick, but don't understand that - BT say

SecondaryIDs.jpg

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45822/c/346

It is all actually very easy to do and logical when you actually are migrated and see it in practice.

Thank goodness for that. The reason I'm being as proactive as I can is that my partner (secondary account) is about to go to NZ for 2 months, and will be inconvenienced if the migration goes off the rails. Forewarned is forarmed and all that. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

The multiple BTIDs can only be linked to your account if you want to link them.

If you do not link them they can not access anything that is in your BT account.  If you "gift" the email address they can set up their own BTID and MyBT which only allows them to manage their own BT email address.

Once the migration has happened you go into your MyBT and scroll down to My Extras then Manage BTMail. You will see all your present sub accounts including your partner's. You decide which sub-accounts you want to control and which ones you want the other users to control, ie your partners and click on "Give an email address" and follow any prompts.

The next time your partner logs onto BTMail via webmail  https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform he/she will be given the option to set up a MyBT and BTID with the email address you have gifted. It is an easy to follow process.

Highlighted
Message 10 of 11

The fog is lifting. Thanks for your patience.

Is it possible, once the migration has happened, for the secondary users just to carry on as before, doing absolutely nothing with client settings, passwords, linking to something, and ignore setting up a BTID? BT say "Your BT ID is the username and password you need to log into My BT to check your online account. Your username is normally your email address" but only the primary account holder needs to do this, or whichever email address has been linked to the BT.com account. It is natural and logical to infer that if you don't ever check in to the BT.com online account, and never have done because the Primary Email Account holder has done that, then there is no need for a BT ID.

Btw, I think I've identified how some confusion can arise: BT should make careful distinction when using the term "account" between a BT account (i.e. a BT.com account, with street address, account numbers, access to usage, bills etc) and a simple email account, such as secondary email addresses within the umbrella of a single BT account.

0 Ratings