cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

BT Hits 5 Million Broadband Customers

You may have noticed KerryG's announcement on another part of the forum that BT now has its millionth Wi-Fi hotspot and is announcing a competition to find it.

No such announcement regarding Sir Michael Rake's recent letter to BT shareholders saying BT now has 5 million broadband users.  What, no competition to track down the 5 millionth?

Hang on a mo though!  5 million broadband users, 5 million potential Home and Business Broadband Openzone or BT Fon hotspots - but only a million hotspots?

Something isn't right here.  Does the 1 million refer to commercial hotspots or the total?  If it's the former, then it isn't bad.  If its the latter, then a million must be a wee bit disappointing and make you ask about the 3, 999,999 other folks who aren't yet sharing their bandwidth..

Added later.  BT's own figures indicate that their Wi-fi estate breaks down as:

• Circa 860,000 BT FON hotspots: These are public Wi-Fi hotspots broadcast by BT Home Hubs. 
• Circa 137,000 BT Business Hubs broadcasting a BT Openzone public Wi-Fi signal
• Circa 3,800 BT Openzone hotspots in popular UK and Ireland locations including hotels, coffee shops, major city centres, airport lounges and terminals and marinas.

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Dorset_Vinney
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Hits 5 Million Broadband Customers

I imagine those stats have something to do with the relative numbers of v1and v2 HomeHubs out there. And the number of new customers they have signed up since they introduced the "default" opted IN to BTFon for all new customers based on obtaining "consent" via the new customer T&Cs that were recently introduced.

It is unlikely that many v1 hub customers or existing customers with a v2 Hub would choose to voluntarily surrender some of their bandwidth for a BTFon network, unless they themselves have a pressing need for using BTFon when they are out and about.

Did anyone see whether the survey results referred to above were publicly available so that questions asked, and numbers replying etc. could be checked? It's generally best industry practice to rely on published verifiable independent survey statistics.

Dorset Vinney - I speak up when I'm worried
0 Ratings
olly230
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

so THATS why its going so slow

GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

Yes indeed.  Back in 2005, Ben Verwaayen, then BT's CEO announced that they had just connected their 5 millionth wholesale customer (BT + every other ISP using BT's Infrastructure).  The recent report (I think it was given to the Press in December but appears in a February 2010 bulletin to shareholders) refers to 5 million retail customers.

5 million with BT plus all those from other ISP's, crowding on to decrepit copper and worse aluminium?  No wonder so many folks are experiencing falling speeds, increased contention, etc.

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

0 Ratings
olly230
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

i have a new record.

0.247Mbit

upload is still a healthy 0.888 Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

I've stared at this long enough now, and still dont understand where the 4M+ missing hubs are in these figures.

As a BTBBAnywhere user, I never found a single Fon hotspot apart from my own in 18months, and like a lot of us from that forum, it certainly was'nt for want of trying. No-one ever really praised the spread of BT Fon that I can recall on that forum.  I do remember though that when I joined, if I reset my v1 hub, I had to leave and re-join Fon.  If I reset the same hub now, it re-sets itself, sorry, BT reset it on my behalf. With 3G, EDGE and HSDPA available to my HTC phone, I've given up looking for Fon sites.  The supreme irony of finding a BTOpenzone at the very head of Loch Ness (Fort Augustus) was'nt lost on me though. Smiley Wink

Without going into exactly how many bicycles there really are in Bejiing, the Fon homepage simply states that there are 500K hotspots in the UK, and 700K worldwide.

Ergo, I dont believe a word of it.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Highlighted
StewartM
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

But aren't you pleased you are one of the 5 Million?Smiley Wink

Stewart
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Pleased as punch. Smiley Wink

But I've just jacked it with BTFon.  Been a waste of time and bandwidth. 

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

A pity some people have nothing better to do than re post threads a year old may be they should locked off after say 6 months