cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caisamuels
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

BT Home Hub 3 Keeps Dropping Out

Since Christmas, our wifi has started dropping out on all devices in the afternoon, but all lights stay blue on the hub. I discovered that if you turn the hub off and on, it starts working again, but after a while, it drops out again. I've contacted bt about the problem and they send me a new BT Hub 3, but it was still the same, so I contacted bt for the second time, and they said there are too many devices connected to the hub. We only have on average 5 devices connected to the hub. I don't understand, because a lot of my friends and Family have over 10 devices connected to their hub, and theirs works fine. I am on bt infinity. I also found a second way of fixing it, but it only works occasionally. If I'm on my computer, and I click troubleshoot wifi connection, it runs the troubleshooter, and fixes it though "resetting the wifi adapter", but like I said, it only works some times, other times it just says it can't find the problem.
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Home Hub 3 Keeps Dropping Out

Your Homehub can handle in excess of 200 devices so the Customer Service was slightly out with the number suggested.

You may be suffering from wireless interference.

You should try selecting channel 13 on the Homehub. It is the least congested channel. If you get any warnings when you select that channel just ignore them. They only apply in the USA where it is illegal to use that channel.

See link how to change channels 

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/~/how-do-i-change-the-wi-fi-channel-on-my-bt-hu...

You should make sure that when the wireless drops out you can still connect with a wired connection. If the wired connection also drops out it would tend to point to a possible line fault.

0 Ratings
caisamuels
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

I will try what you said, but I don't think it's a line problem, because they said they checked the line and it's fine.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

One other thing to check. Since the problem started are there any new electrical appliances/devices in the house and does the drop outs coincided with any electrical items being turned on?

0 Ratings
caisamuels
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Well I got an amazon echo, but that doesent use much wifi, but I've realised my wifi tends to drop out when I go on my laptop.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

@caisamuels wrote:
I will try what you said, but I don't think it's a line problem, because they said they checked the line and it's fine.

Wireless has nothing to do with the line.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

licquorice

I think his reply was in relation to the last paragraph in my post.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Missed that bit.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

@caisamuels wrote:
Well I got an amazon echo, but that doesent use much wifi, but I've realised my wifi tends to drop out when I go on my laptop.

Try changing channels first. If that doesn't help and you can definetly establish that the wireless only drops out when you connect the laptop post back the laptop name, model and operating system.

0 Ratings
caisamuels
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Changing to channel 13 hasn't made any differece. I've noticed it normally happens when I've got around 4 devices connected to the wifi.
0 Ratings