cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 11 of 272

Re: BT Home Hub 4

I have the N66u and would advise against it as your main router, it maxes out at ~200Mbps when using PPPoE (I've read on forums its something to do with its single core processor) and beacuse of that I'd say maybe opt for the N900.

All other aspects of the N66u are pretty much excellent and before you ask I've tried custom firmware and still no help.

A friend of mine who lives very close to me and is also on an FTTP connection is currently using a TP-Link TL-WDR4300 N750 and it handles 300Mbps+ wired very well.

Not too sure about its wireless performance.

It is a shame of the lack of gigabit ports on the HomeHub but 5-port switches are fairly cheap, that being said it is fairly stupid of BT to provide a fibre service and have a router with only one gigE port.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 12 of 272

If I am right looking at those specs the only difference the HH4 has over the HH3 is it has 5 Ghz wireless not much to make me go out and buy one Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 272

@NewtronStar wrote:

If I am right looking at those specs the only difference the HH4 has over the HH3 is it has 5 Ghz wireless not much to make me go out and buy one Smiley Frustrated

Setting the specs aside. Looking at the hub4, imho it's a backwards step with the location of the card (similar to the HH2) - it has the potential to clearly show anyone passing by the wireless key

rearhub4.PNG

There is one consolation -  if it uses the same printing method used on the HH2 (card) and HH3 (pull up tab), it won't be too long before the details rub off

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 14 of 272

So if I place an order today, will I get a new HH4? I just tried to order but it said a HH3 would be sent.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 272

the earliest day to get a HH4 is May 10th
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 272

Withe regards to the location of the passkey card, it looks as though it slides out of the holder, if it does then slide it out and turn it round so that the details are facing into the hub rather than out for all to see.

I also don't see what the clamour is to get one right away. There will no doubt be teething problems similar to when all the previous hubs were first introduced, best to wait a while and see how they work.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 272

@john46 wrote:
the earliest day to get a HH4 is May 10th

So, in 10 mins then.......

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 272

according to the press release but who knows with the order line
Highlighted
Expert
Message 19 of 272

What happens to the old HH3 that are kept in a massive warehouse after the 10th of May ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 272

@gg30340 wrote:

Withe regards to the location of the passkey card, it looks as though it slides out of the holder, if it does then slide it out and turn it round so that the details are facing into the hub rather than out for all to see.

I also don't see what the clamour is to get one right away. There will no doubt be teething problems similar to when all the previous hubs were first introduced, best to wait a while and see how they work.

I understand that the card can be lifted out and turned to show a blank card (or removed altogether), but how many out there will actually do this. I have personally told 2 strangers that their HH2's were showing all the details needed as they had them in their front windows.

Also, imho there's still teething problems with the HH2 and HH3!

I just hope BT asked triallists whom have had nothing but hassle from these hubs to test their newest version?

(thinking about it, they should of asked me!)

0 Ratings