0 Ratings
infinidim
Expert
Message 52 of 272

Re: BT Home Hub 4

@iqzy wrote:

@infinidim wrote:

@iqzy wrote:
He got it on pensioner discount. Yep, there is such a thing.

I think it was partly because I am a BT pensioner (normally you only get a very small amount off in the BT Shop) and also we are on Infinity Option 2. The product  description on my order confirmation is " Home Hub 4 (BT Infinity Customers) " and the Quicklinx code is "8P1X ".

Hope this helps other people to get this router cheaply.

I've also got BT Infinity 2. Went to BT Shop still says £109 for me? What was yours before your pensioner discount?

Mine before the discount was £109. I don't think it was because I had Infinity Option 2.

I have also noticed that there are two version of the packaging for the Home Hub 4 as well - One for Infinity and the other for the normal broadband service. The difference between the two is that the Infinity version doesn't have the filters in it. I know this because my Home Hub 4 arrived early this morning via UPS. The packaging will go through a normal letter box (I think) but because we have an actual box that letters go into it wouldn't fit. It's quite long.

The codes for the two versions are as follows -

BT Home Hub 4 (BT Broadband Customers)  Quicklinx: 8P1MWS00  Mfr#: 068340

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-home-hub-4--bt-broadband-customers--8P1M.html?q=Home%20Hub%204

BT Home Hub 4 (BT Infinity Customers)  Quicklinx: 8P1XWS00 Mfr#: 068341

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-home-hub-4--bt-infinity-customers--8P1X.html?q=Home%20Hub%204

The descriptions don't mention any difference but the discounted price is marginally cheaper for the Infinity version and as I mentioned earlier there are slots in the packaging for filters.

I will update this forum once I have installed it and give you my thoughts.

Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side
If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 53 of 272

Well I hope I can get one for free still as I recontracted over the weekend to get 50gb cloud, uncapped p2p, and BT sport before I saw that a homehub 4 was available and I imagine I am not the only one.

Surely they should allow us to recontract again in June to get one as I imagine there will be a lot of backlash from customers who added the sport package not realising the new hub was available next month, I know I would be angry if I couldn't get one. I am very happy with my infinity and will happily recontract to get the new Hub as I have no intention of leaving BT anytime soon.
0 Ratings
infinidim
Expert
Message 54 of 272

We'll folks I have now installed the Home Hub 4 and from a visible software view it look the same as the Home Hub 3. Performance into the BT Wholesale network (DSLAM, Back Haul and BRAS ) looks to be similar to the HH3 but it has resolved an issue that I had with upstream throughput (I can't discuss it here as the Ombudsman is looking into it).

The "Home Network" side of the HH4 seems to have similar issues to the Home Hub 3.

UPnP seems to have the same bugs as the Home Hub 3. I have a number of UPnP devices, that I know are fully compliant, which should have not needed setting up in the HH 4 but they did. I have also checked the UPnP forum and can't see that the BT Home Hubs have been certified - someone correct me if I am wrong.

It's early days currently (the HH4 was installed at about 10:30 today) and the DLM will need to monitor my network connection for a while before I know what the real network throughput and performance will be.

I will keep the forum updated with how it goes.

Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side
If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 55 of 272

I'm happy with the performance of my HomeHub 3a, I'm more interested in the 4 as it has the 5ghz band which means I can get a higher throughput on my ipad. From what I have found out the iPad should do 72mbps on 2.4ghz and 150mbps on 5ghz.
0 Ratings
iqzy
Contributor
Message 56 of 272

@infinidim wrote:

We'll folks I have now installed the Home Hub 4 and from a visible software view it look the same as the Home Hub 3. Performance into the BT Wholesale network (DSLAM, Back Haul and BRAS ) looks to be similar to the HH3 but it has resolved an issue that I had with upstream throughput (I can't discuss it here as the Ombudsman is looking into it).

The "Home Network" side of the HH4 seems to have similar issues to the Home Hub 3.

UPnP seems to have the same bugs as the Home Hub 3. I have a number of UPnP devices, that I know are fully compliant, which should have not needed setting up in the HH 4 but they did. I have also checked the UPnP forum and can't see that the BT Home Hubs have been certified - someone correct me if I am wrong.

It's early days currently (the HH4 was installed at about 10:30 today) and the DLM will need to monitor my network connection for a while before I know what the real network throughput and performance will be.

How is the wireless signal so far? As in have you tried it in an area where you normally would have weak or no signal and is it the same or better? My iPhone seems to disconnect from the Homehub and even has poor wireless, and I bet BT would say it's my iPhone's fault but doesn't happen on anyone else's router. These random disconnects also happen on my other devices and HH3 type b gives out poor wireless signal, speeds good though. I just hope the HH4 gives good signal.

0 Ratings
infinidim
Expert
Message 57 of 272

@iqzy wrote:

@infinidim wrote:

How is the wireless signal so far? As in have you tried it in an area where you normally would have weak or no signal and is it the same or better? My iPhone seems to disconnect from the Homehub and even has poor wireless, and I bet BT would say it's my iPhone's fault but doesn't happen on anyone else's router. These random disconnects also happen on my other devices and HH3 type b gives out poor wireless signal, speeds good though. I just hope the HH4 gives good signal.

Wireless is slightly better in my case currently. I have two wireless routers in our house, one the HH4 and the other a TP-Link device. What I found before the HH4 was that our wireless devices would pick up quicker on the TP-Link device than the HH3. Also I was starting to get interferance from other wireless routers in the area. Now the pick-up is the same between the HH4 and the TP-Link device. I also don't get random drop-out on the HH4 where I did with the HH3 Type A.

The download and upload throughputs have also been stable as well, the DLM has not come in and knocked the speeds down so far.

Still early days.

Hope this helps.

Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

0 Ratings
jonew
Contributor
Message 58 of 272

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jloLF7MLgBI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Little vid I made with the hh4...
Ive found an issue with hh4. 5 band conflicts with normal wireless causing dropouts between my s3 n hh4.. once my laptop is off it stops dropping my s3
0 Ratings
infinidim
Expert
Message 59 of 272

@jonew wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jloLF7MLgBI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Little vid I made with the hh4...
Ive found an issue with hh4. 5 band conflicts with normal wireless causing dropouts between my s3 n hh4.. once my laptop is off it stops dropping my s3

jonew, I like the video. Felt like I was opening my one up again....Smiley Wink

I've noticed one drop-out since I installed the HH4, that was when my wife connected her tablet to the HH4. Other than that the wireless here has been rock solid.Smiley Happy

Will keep the forum updated on any issue I see.

Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

0 Ratings
nikev21
Contributor
Message 60 of 272

HH4, is NAT loopback enabled ?

0 Ratings