cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iqzy
Contributor
Message 261 of 272

Re: BT Home Hub 4

Still getting problems with the iPhone though. Every device connects in my room, but the iPhone for some reason just cannot keep a steady connection. It ain't the device cos other Apple devices have the same problem.

0 Ratings
ianon
Beginner
Message 262 of 272

I would avoid the Home Hub 4 if you plan to use it wirelessly.

My Home Hub 4 loses 50% bandwidth when operated wirelessly with my laptop
sitting right next to the Hub. Move upstairs and the loss is even greater.

BT have finally admitted that this is a known issue affecting a number of
Home HUb 4 customers, after spending the day telling me there were no known
issues, and that they did not support or guarantee wireless connectivity. All
this with a product advertised as "The UK's most reliable wireless connection
across all your devices".

BT's only offered solutions are for me to use an Ethernet cable, or cancel
the service 😕

0 Ratings
lady_clair
Beginner
Message 263 of 272

@ Stuey3d - Thank you so much for your clear and easy-to-follow instructions. I was able to set up the HH3 as an access point last night, along with power line adapters, and our fibre optic not only reaches all areas of the house & garden now but also seems to be much quicker!

If only all experts were like you.... Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
dachat
Beginner
Message 264 of 272

This sounds great although I havent tried it yet.

Can I do this with a second HHub4?

Is there no way to use them as a stand alone repeater without direct ethernet access?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 265 of 272

None of the home hubs can act as a wireless repeater.

BT have a wireless repeater http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-dual-band-wi-fi-extender-600-8W46.html

0 Ratings
lightingplan
Beginner
Message 266 of 272

Hi Stuey,

Just wanted to join this forum purely to thank you so much for your clear instructions. They worked perfectly and I now have a garden office with full speedy internet using my Hub 3 as a repeater.

Once again my sincerest thanks and best wishes for such an easy to follow and complete solution.

Mikey

0 Ratings
af8tmw
Contributor
Message 267 of 272

Hi Stuey3d Thanks for the clear instructions.  I am trying to have a home hub 5 with infinity as the master, and my old homehub 3 as the access point. I just get a solid yellow on the 'broadband' symbol on the front of the HH3.  I am connecting via yellow ethernet to yellow ethernet.  Any ideas on anything else I can check?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
VLT
Contributor
Message 268 of 272

I have a HH2 set up as an access point and working fine with HH4 via dlan (Ethernet over power line). However I don't want anyone connected to the access point to be able to see or connect to any of the network devices connected to the HH4 (i.e. I wish them to have Internet access only). I only use the gig port on the HH4 and then a Netgear Gb switch. The dlan also feeds another switch to cover Sky, Bt Vision and Smart Blueray so it would be difficult to physically segregate this at Hub or switch level.

The access point is set at 192.168.1.1 and is thus outside the DHCP pool. 

Stuey3d Are you able to offer any suggestions, please?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 269 of 272

I use a Netgear ProSafe Plus 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch, which has port based VLAN isolation, to isolate a guest network from the rest of the network.

This also has port mirroring should you need to monitor traffic on a port, and has bandwidth and QOS controls, so you can restrict the througput to a guest network or other port.

I also have the 8 port version, as I have devices on my main network that I need to control and monitor.

The management software is Windows only.

0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 270 of 272

@VLT wrote:

I have a HH2 set up as an access point and working fine with HH4 via dlan (Ethernet over power line). However I don't want anyone connected to the access point to be able to see or connect to any of the network devices connected to the HH4 (i.e. I wish them to have Internet access only). I only use the gig port on the HH4 and then a Netgear Gb switch. The dlan also feeds another switch to cover Sky, Bt Vision and Smart Blueray so it would be difficult to physically segregate this at Hub or switch level.

The access point is set at 192.168.1.1 and is thus outside the DHCP pool. 

@Stuey3d Are you able to offer any suggestions, please?

Unfortunately with the homehubs the only kind of access control you have is to block the internet between certain times, there is no way of telling devices to only use the internet and not to connect to other devices. You will need to purchase a router that has the option of creating a 2nd wireless network for guests (guest network) this works kinda like the BT Wifi network the hubs broadcast out in that the devices can only access the internet but not other local devices, the only difference being is that you control it and not BT and guests dont have to pay to use.

0 Ratings