cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lammy1961
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Home Hub 5 ChromeCast Audio Static I.P.

I have just purchased a ChromeCast Audio and I'm trying to assign it with a Static I.P.

I followed these instructions below.

Go to the "Advanced Settings" page of the Home Hub admin, then click "Home Network". This will show you all the devices (wired and wireless), connected to your router.
You should see your ChromeCast Audio there, together with the IP Address assigned to it.
Click the name of the ChromeCast Audio
Type the IP address you want to use in the appropriate box, then click "yes", where it says "Always use this IP Address".
Click "Apply", and you should be good to go. If you look at the "Home Network" page now, it should show the CCA as having the IP Address that you want.

However I cannot Type the IP address as the field is inactive and it wont allow me to select "Always use this IP Address"

Is there another way to do this ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Home Hub 5 ChromeCast Audio Static I.P.

On the page you referred to, what does the IP address assignment field just above show as?

I think the Always use this IP address button creates a DHCP reservation i.e., reserves a specific IP address to a specific MAC address, and as such is only an option if the IP address assignment shows as DHCP.

If the IP address used on the CCA is statically assigned and outside of the DHCP Network Range (see Advanced Settings -> Home Network -> IP Addresses) then the IP address assignment field will already show as static.

Regards

0 Ratings
lammy1961
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

First of all, "Thanks for the reply"

Yes that's correct the I.P address of the ChromeCast Audio is outside my DHCP Network Range, but I thought I could assign it using the Mac address.....Is this not the case ?

Is there no way of manually assigning it an I.P. address outside my DHCP Network Range ?

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

If it's outside of the DHCP range you don't have to do anything on the Home Hub.

The IP address is obviously assigned to the device itself. When the Home Hub sees traffic from this MAC/IP address combination it will add it to the devices list as a connected device and show it as having a static IP. What the HH will also do is assign it a name e.g., unknown_00:37:B7:11:46:1D.

For me I always change the name to something more meaningful so I can do things like ping meaningful_name and have the HH resolve it in DNS correctly, but if you don't care about that there's actually nothing required for it to work.

Regards

0 Ratings
lammy1961
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

smf22......My Home Hub 5 is set up with a Dynamic DNS service, so I'm not sure if that affects the Static I.P. side of things.

But I am unable to connect successfully to the ChromeCast Audio.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

Dynamic DNS shouldn't have anything to do with this.

Do you see the CCA as a device under Advanced Settings -> Home Network -> Devices? I presume you'll see it listed under the Wirelsss Connections as a device connected to the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz SSID.

If you see it there does it show the MAC, the static IP you've assigned and a status of "Connected" or "Not connected"?

Regards

0 Ratings
lammy1961
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

It wont let me assign a Static I.P.

This is as far as I can get.

the I.P. Address field is inactive and the "Always use this I.P. Address is also inactive.

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 14.22.22.png

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

That's because the HH sees the connection status as "Not currently connected" and the device not having an IP address.

I've got Chromecast video, but not CCA. I presume these are setup the same i.e., from the Chromecast app, connect to the SSID of the CCA, tell it which HH SSID/WEP key to use etc. I guess you've completed those steps as it's seen in the device list. 

One thing I notice from the screenshot is that it shows the CCA as being connected to the 5 GHz SSID on the HH. Have you split the SSID as shown in Connecting Chrome Cast to Hub 4 and 5

Perhaps go through the steps of splitting SSID and try CCA setup again. You then need to make sure the CCA and the device you've got the Chromecast app installed on or are trying to cast from, are connected to the same SSID.

Regards

0 Ratings
lammy1961
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Thanks for that I'll give it a go.

Thanks for all the help.

0 Ratings