cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose_
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT Home Hub 5 Red Wifi sign light and PC and Playstation won't see hub but iphones will

Go to solution

Can anyone help me?  I've googled to try and find the answer with no luck.

My Homeub 5 worked well for the first month, and all my devices could see it.

Then a random red wifi sign light (the dot with the waves radiating from it) came on, solid - not flashing.  Since then my PC and Playstation 3 cannot see the Homehub5 in the list of available WiFi signals, but my iphone and ipad can.

I did find out that it is meant to show that some security is turned off, I went onto the Homehub settings as per the BT instructions, and tried to reset everything back, but the thing keeps hanging and restarting the hub.

I've tried the BT desktop help thing and it doesn't solve the problem. 

I have to get wifi on the PC plugged an old wifi router into one of the spare LAN ports, and this works OK, but I'd rather have the Homhub working back as it did.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Home Hub 5 Red Wifi sign light and PC and Playstation won't see hub but iphones will

Go to solution

Try a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds.

0 Ratings
Choose_
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Re: BT Home Hub 5 Red Wifi sign light and PC and Playstation won't see hub but iphones will

Go to solution
Thank you for the suggestion. I've just tried that and once it finished booting up, the red light came straiht back on. :- ( Is there another router I can buy, from reading some of the other comments on this forum it looks like the hh5 is a bit of a lemon?
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Sounds like a faulty HH5.

See link about the lights

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46541/~/what-do-the-lights-on-my-bt-home-hub-5-mean%3...

If you have Infinity you would need to get either an Openreach modem and you could then use any router that has a WAN port or you could buy a VDSLmodem/router.

If you do an Internet search you will find a selection to choose from starting in price from £60 ish upwards.

You will get an Openreach modem on auction sites for about £20.

0 Ratings
Choose_
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you.

Looks like I'll have to buy another router.  Which one is the best/fastest?

I take it BT don't offer any sort of guarentee with the HH5 to send a replacement if the first one breaks?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Just phone customer services and ask for a replacement hh5 as yours is faulty. There are many on the forum myself included using the hh5 and it works ok. As long as you are in contract you should get free replacement

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

If you are still in contract BT will replace the HH5 free of charge if it is faulty.

As regards recommending VDSLmodem/router, any of the brand names such as Netgear, Billion, DrayTek, Tp-Link or Asus all make good products. Many users on the forum suggest Billion or TP-Link.

If it is just a router, stick with the brand names and make sure it has a WAN port so that it can work with the Openreach modem which you will also need to use.

0 Ratings
Choose_
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks gg, but I' think it's just easier to spend a couple of hundred quid on a decent router.  I really can't be bothered to spend hours on the phone explaining my problem to muppet after muppet, while they go through all the basic stuff and then waiting weeks for a replacement to arrive, which will probably break in a month.

It seems like quite a big market for routers, there must be a reason why after market routers are popular.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Remember you may also need an Openreach modem as well if the router is not supplied with a built in one
0 Ratings
Choose_
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks John I'll check that.
0 Ratings