Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonnyF73
Beginner
Message 11 of 14

Re: BT Home Hub 5 Type B - SNR Margin

Go to solution

Pretty sure that's what I said if you want to re-read!?

Thanks anyway everyone, it doesnt really help or particularily explain anything though.

So, I unplugged my type A that was 3.5 SNR Margin.

Plugged in the Type B, and it's 6dB.

I think it would be a huge coincidence if at that exact moment BT decided to end any potential trials!?

However, like you say, I am still better off as I have a margially better sync at 6dB than I did at 3.5dB - so I presume I will have a more stable line.

Like I say, I was hoping for a sync of 76000 whether you think I'd notice it or not 🙂 - but there you go...

Thanks again,

Jon.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 14

Go to solution
Without seeing the WAN log entries from the HH5 Type-A we can't be sure it was connecting with an SNR margin near 3.5dB. I suppose you could connect the old HH to a PC (without the DSL connection) and copy the log entries showing the speeds and SNR margins at the time of the last few re-connections.

If it was using a margin of around 3.5dB then that wouldn't be nornal behaviour. Hence all we can suggest is the reported trials, an error with your target SNR margin line parameter, or faulty HH5 firmware or hardware?

If due to the trial then I suppose it's perfectly possible that it was only being tried with certain chipsets and/or certain firmware. That might explain it suddenly changing back to the nornal 6dB when you moved to a HH5 Type-B.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 14

Go to solution
By the way, the maximum possible sync rate on Infinity 2 is 80000Kbps not 76000Kbps.

They advertise it as up to 76Mbps due to a combination of a technical reason (downstream IP profile) and ASA regulations relating to what at least 10% of customers achieve. Same with Infinity 1 and ADSL2+ where they no longer advertise the speeds as up to 40Mbps or 24Mbps.
0 Ratings
Mike-B
Contributor
Message 14 of 14

Go to solution

I don't understand why the OP is reporting fixed SNR Margins of 3.5dB & 6dB.  My HH5 Type-A SNR Margin varies  a few decimal points during the day as background noise changes.  As of now its   16.1 / 6.7

0 Ratings