cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Home Hub 5 - Unknown devices getting bigger and bigger

OK, I've had my home hub for about two weeks now and I keep getting more and more devices appearing in the BT Access Control section begiining with unknown_ followed what I assume is a MAC address (see below):

Capture20151215001.JPG

None of these devices appear in my home network:

Capture20151215002.JPG

All other devices are appearing here (some as Not Connected) but the unknown ones never appear here.

Any ideas why I'm getting these?

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Home Hub 5 - Unknown devices getting bigger and bigger

Probably connecting to your BT Wifi with FON signal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

OK, so a couple of questions...

1.  Why give me an option to add these devices to the Access Control?  I can see this list getting bigger and bigger.

2.  Or can I switch off this BT Wifi with FON signal?

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

You don't have an option to turn off the BT WiFi signal as such.  Instead, you have to opt out of the system at https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/status.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon/status

At some point afterwards (and it could take some time), BT will remotely turn it off on your Hub.

Note that opting out prevents you from logging into any other hotspots on the BT WiFi network.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

A ha, ok.  I've opted out now, but only so that this list as described in my original post reflects becomes manageable again.  Will give it 48 hours and will monitor my Access Control.  

Still don't get why these BT Wifi devices should be coming up in the list to start with, mind...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

I have no idea why they would come up in that list.  Unless they have successfully connected to your home WiFi signal, they should never have been given an IP address in the range 192.168.1.xxx.  Computers using the WiFi hotspot are given a completely separate range of IP addresses, so that they can't see anything on your home network.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Do you have powerline adaptors, smart TV, Bluray player or anything else that connects to the Internet that you may have forgotten about.

Has anybody in your household given out the Homehub Passkey to allow friends to connect to the Internet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

@Ectophile wrote:

I have no idea why they would come up in that list.  Unless they have successfully connected to your home WiFi signal, they should never have been given an IP address in the range 192.168.1.xxx.  Computers using the WiFi hotspot are given a completely separate range of IP addresses, so that they can't see anything on your home network.

As the OP said, they are not in the home network list and haven't got a 192.168.1.xx address.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

@licquorice wrote:

@Ectophile wrote:

As the OP said, they are not in the home network list and haven't got a 192.168.1.xx address.

Ah.  I misunderstood the pictures above.  Ignore what I said, then.

0 Ratings