cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 32

BT Home Hub 5 disconnecting and slow speed

Hi. In February 2016 I started having problems with my wifi, it would be slow and drop connection regularly. So I contacted you and I got engineers out to put a new line in. But the thing is the problem still persists. The wifi still drops and the speeds are slow and the signal isn't powerful enough. For example the hub is downstairs and I'm upstairs directly above it and I don't have a strong enough signal to watch a live stream in high quality.

I've changed the wireless channels and everything else your website suggests. I'm getting pretty fed up with it now. I've had the hub since December 2014 and I think it's getting old and it's getting towards the end of its lifespan. I pay around £60 a month and I have the top package and I don't want a replacement because that'll not last long. I want the new BT smart hub because I heard that it has the best wifi signal out there and it will last me a couple of years hopefully. Also I'm an existing customer who's not getting the service I pay for.

So I'm thinking that I should be allowed to get the BT smart hub for free because I was promised it was fixed and It wasn't, also I'm a existing customer who pays around £60 a month for 72 Mbps and up to 17 Mbps upload and I'm only getting half of that. And I believe that the BT smart hub will get the most out of my wifi.

I think receiving this hub will save me a lot more hassle in the future and prevent me from having to contact you continuously to help solve my problem.

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 32

Re: BT Home Hub 5 disconnecting and slow speed

I think you are totally wrong. If you look on this site alone you'll see the myriad of problems customers are having with the HH6.

ISP's do not nor are required to support wireless connections.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 32

What is the speed like when you connect a computer to the home hub, via a direct Ethernet cable?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 32

I just checked then and wirelessly I get 22 Mbps download and 7 upload, but wired I get 28 Mbps download and the exact same upload. But when it's connected wirelessly the speeds are massively inconsistent. I find it ridiculous how I'm paying around £80 pound monthly on average (including the home phone) and my connection is so poor, I honestly feel like I'm being scammed at the moment for what I'm getting. Also my hub makes a loud obnoxious sound when doing stuff online that requires a lot of speed to do. For example gaming and streaming, or just watching a you tube video in general.

Im currently on BT infinity 2 package 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 32

You are wasting your money on Infinity2 with those speeds, you would get the same speed on Infinity1.

can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 32

IMG_0730.PNG1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +068343+NQ43112626
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 04/07/15
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:28:12
6. Data rate: 8496 / 43993
7. Maximum data rate: 13336 / 53992
8. Noise margin: 9.3 / 9.4
9. Line attenuation: 24.8 / 20.3
10. Signal attenuation: 24.7 / 19.6
11. Data sent/received: 7.4 MB / 76.3 MB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 32

Your DSL uptime is only 28 minutes, have you re-booted the hub or disconnected it manually? Your connection speed has been reduced by DLM to 44M from a possible 54M possibly due to an unstable line and disconnections. Can you post the speedtest results as requested.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 32

IMG_0731.PNGThe reason my DSL uptime is only 28 minutes is because my router is broken or something I don't know. I don't know what triggers it but it will disconnect randomly for no reason. I couldn't do the Speedtest because I don't have access to a computer but I found this in the Home hub manager. This is all I can do on my end I'm affraid. Also what's the latest firmware update for the HH5? Because mine was last updated over a year ago. Thanks 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 32

If you are getting the disconnections when connected to the test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket you need an engineer visit. Home hub firmware is irrelevant.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 32

i had engineers come out in September to fix this and it's still happening so I think it's something to do with the router. But I'll try something with the master socket tomorrow. I'll get back to you when I can.

0 Ratings