cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT Home Hub 5 incompatible with Tom Tom MyDrive application

I got an upgrade to BT Infinity (FTTC) on Thursday and overall I've been delighted with the performance improvements over ADSL2. The Home Hub 5 was also an improvement over the Hub 3 and the 5GHz performance is particularly good.

Unfortunately, the Home Hub seems to block packet data when I try to update my Tom Tom sat nav system using Tom Tom's "MyDrive" application. The event log on the router fills up with blocked packet messages and the resulting packet loss has corrupted the map downloads for my device and now rendered my £170 sat nav useless. As I write I still haven't managed to solve the problems and now face a 105 Euro repair charge.

Here are a sample of the error messages in the log:

Packet-problems.jpg

I went to a friend's house yesterday and he has a Virgin Cable Modem and I was immediately able to download the map updates without all the error messages and packet loss. I even used the same laptop at his house that failed when Ethernet connected to the HH5. This is an annoying problem with the Home Hub 5 and I hope BT Tech can sort it out.

I tried the following to solve the issue on the HH5, all to no avail:

Turning off the Firewall on the hub

Tried port forwarding set-up

Tried adding the PC into the DMZ

The Tom Tom update download problems (and packet blocking) start immediately I try to download any updates on MyDrive. The MyDrive application then comes back with a "Check your network" message and advises that a different port is tried. The default port for MyDrive appears to be TCP 4000. I tried 5000 and 5001 as suggested but that didn't help.

If anyone has any advice or help on this, I'd be very grateful.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Home Hub 5 incompatible with Tom Tom MyDrive application

You should have no problems with your tomtom device and the hub 5 i have used a tom tom in the past with no problems and i know other using the same with no problems

those entries in your hub log are the firewall doing its job
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Maybe I have a faulty Hub 5 then as this one adamantly refuses to download maps from the Tom Tom server with MyDrive Connect (after it corrupted my Europe map and rendered the unit useless yesterday). Are you sure that when you did Tom Tom updates you were using MyDrive Connect as opposed to Tom Tom Home, which was an older application, which worked much more reliably and was more flexible - presumably that's why they scrapped it. LOL

When MyDrive Connect tries to download, the time left message goes from several hours to just 1 second left within a few seconds, and the time stays at 1 second, with no download activity.

I have clean reinstalled the MyDrive app, reset the Sat Nav, re-formatted the micro SD card, tried port forwarding, tried Windows 10 allow application firewall rules. Nothing works. I NEVER had this problem with my Hub 3. It worked every time with the same laptop and Sat Nav device.

A trip to a friend's house yesterday with my laptop and it downloads fine; although the files still fail to install on the Sat Nav. I am currently trying a different PC, or it will be a call to Tom Tom support tomorrow.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

It cannot be a faulty hub if everything else works ok a hud /router cannot just select one site not to function on if the file is not installing it sounds more like a faulty /corrupt download
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

You may be right about the corrupt download, as even with the files I successfully downloaded from a friend's Virgin Cable modem, they fail to install and the Tom Tom is still bricked. I will be raising the matter with Tom Tom support this morning.

I am not the only person who is having the problem, given by the responses to my post on their Forum:

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/ask-a-question-469/map-deleted-by-update-cant-re-install-very-frus...

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Without setting up port forwarding for the TCP ports that the TomTom MyDrive application uses, the Hub 5's firewall blocks packets and the TomTom map downloads fail. With port forwarding enabled for all ports the application uses, the map downloads work reliably.

I have now written a guide on my blog which explains exactly how to set up port forwarding for the TomTom MyDrive application. *Edited by Mod*

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

it's the link to your blog that is the problem not the information so just copy and paste your solution

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings