cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darrenc1888
Beginner
Message 51 of 59

Re: BT Home Hub 5 (no not a spelling mistake)

i do but not with BT im with Sky at the moment BT engineer is connecting me to infinity on monday

everyone seems to really want these home hub 5s

whats the big deal with them ?

0 Ratings
Checked2013
Expert
Message 52 of 59

@darrenc1888 wrote:

i do but not with BT im with Sky at the moment BT engineer is connecting me to infinity on monday

everyone seems to really want these home hub 5s

whats the big deal with them ?

Key advantages of the hub 5 are:

1. It's a combined modem/router (So no need for a seperate modem)

2. You can obtain the line stats (Both Hub 3 and 4 did not allow you to see the line stats for Infinity)

3. The hub 5 now supports the Wireless ac standard which means a higher wireless connection speed if you have a Wireless ac adapter fitted to your computer/device

darrenc1888
Beginner
Message 53 of 59

cool well bring on monday

0 Ratings
Paddywack41
Aspiring Contributor
Message 54 of 59

As a Home Hub 1-3 User I can honestly say I have never really had any problems with the actually Hub side of things.   However, at the end of October I was moving to a new house and was getting infinitiy installed.   I was pleasently surpised when they sent a Home Hub 5 (as I had leap frogged the 4).  

Home Hub 5 has fantastic speed and Coverage with multiple do dangles to stop other devices affecting its performance....or so BT have told me.   The reality is somewhat different.  Speed wise because I currently only have wireless of ok but coverage is downright awful.   I have the router in the porch separated by about 4 feet by a flimsy boast wall.   On my laptop I get 4 out of 5 bars.   Take my laptop up stairs (in a very small house and where I am directly above the Home Hub I get a staggerly good 1 to 2 bars.

I am hoping to get a few ethernet ports put in to ease the pain but come on folks surely it should produce better results than this.

0 Ratings
Osbeorn_Ulric
Beginner
Message 55 of 59

To the best of my knowledge "beamforming" is exclusive to 802.11ac technology... I stand to be corrected although I am quite certain about that.
0 Ratings
Osbeorn_Ulric
Beginner
Message 56 of 59

I think the WAN is for FTTP.
0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 57 of 59

It's for connecting to a modem - ADSL, FTTC or FTTP.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Osbeorn_Ulric
Beginner
Message 58 of 59

I am correcting myself already... 802.11n had beamforming but it wasn't fully utilised, with ac things are being sorted out more efficiently. This is a nice little article about the subject...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2061907/all-about-beamforming-the-faster-wi-fi-you-didnt-know-you-nee...
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 59 of 59

Which doesn't explain why you are posting in a thread over a year old.

0 Ratings