cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dippu
Expert
Message 1 of 37

BT Home Hub 6

BT to unveil the latest hub tomorrow. Check this out.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/news/3480-bt-to-unveil-home-hub-6/

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 37

Re: BT Home Hub 6

wait and see I doubt it will very different from the hub 5
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 37

This was posted last week from uswitch

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jparnell82
Expert
Message 4 of 37

So has it been unveiled? i cant find any news

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 37

Can't find anything but I think it was press conference today and unveiled tomorrow 17th according to Uswitch article

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ewan1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 37

I have just taken delivery of the new BT Smart Hub or Home Hub 6.

If you want to use your own IP address settings then don't even bother you must stick with the default it comes with.

The interface allows you to change the ip 4 addresses but it will not allow you to savbe the changes. It will not even allow you to select and save the alternative preset range 17.16.0.x!

It however makes a very good heater as it gets very hot!

So my advice is stick with the Home Hub 5 or buy your own router

scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 37

So my first impressions are not particularly good so far 😞

On first set up I find that with a linked band setup and band steering on, my Nexus 7 2015 is constantly connecting and dropping out. When I split the 2 bands into seperate networks I find my nexus 7 can't connect to the 5Ghz network (everything else does) but at least I can force it to stay on the 2.4Ghz network.

Overnight it seems there has been a firmware update (SG4B100021EC). I try to connect my Nexus 7 to the 5Ghz network and this time it works. So I go back and link the 2 networks (which works ok) but I notice the band steering is now disabled with a 'feature coming soon' message.

Also on the Technical log - information page since the new update I now seem to be connected at 40.26Kbps rather than the 40Mbps I am actually connected at 🙂

Is anyone actually testing these things (I was turned down when I applied to help test but I am not bitter 🙂 )

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 37

@scointer wrote:

So my first impressions are not particularly good so far 😞

On first set up I find that with a linked band setup and band steering on, my Nexus 7 2015 is constantly connecting and dropping out. When I split the 2 bands into seperate networks I find my nexus 7 can't connect to the 5Ghz network (everything else does) but at least I can force it to stay on the 2.4Ghz network.

Overnight it seems there has been a firmware update (SG4B100021EC). I try to connect my Nexus 7 to the 5Ghz network and this time it works. So I go back and link the 2 networks (which works ok) but I notice the band steering is now disabled with a 'feature coming soon' message.

Also on the Technical log - information page since the new update I now seem to be connected at 40.26Kbps rather than the 40Mbps I am actually connected at 🙂

Is anyone actually testing these things (I was turned down when I applied to help test but I am not bitter 🙂 )

Are you sure that you can enable band steering??

On my Windows 10 laptop it's shown as "feature coming soon" when clicking on the help buttton.

I have the ssids split, however, and have no intention of selecting channels automatically.

Perhaps you can move the indication to "ON", but without any action being taken.

It took several attempts to connect the ipad to 5GHz, but the unknown is what happens when both the ipad is on at 5GHz and the laptop is on at 2.4 GHz. Past experience with the iOS is that this means trouble!

Speeds: these look promising, as the noise margin at 6.2 up 6.5 down is constant through the day, with a reasonable down speed. The noise margins were previously variable through the day, after someone nearby had (BT) fttc installed, and those  margins were constantly changing, using the HH5.

It's just a first impression - it's early days yet.

Hub Firmware SG4B100021EC.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 37

On the original firmware (before it updated to EC) I could turn band steering on when both bands were linked but since the update last night I can't and it has changed to feature coming soon. Doesn't the advertising mention this as a feature?
0 Ratings
CarlH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 37

It is actually hard to turn the steering off if it firmware updates whilst set it actually stays on if you check the logs, you have to change the wireless a couple of times by say splitting the wireless to actually truly kill the steering.

0 Ratings