Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 37

Re: BT Home Hub 6

Yep, seems about as good as its predecessors!!!

PS If you want PC's to have static addresses you need to set them on the PC. Any IP address allocated by a router will use DHCP, it will just allocate the same address each time.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 37

@R_G

which firmware is hub on - should end 21ec

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
R_G
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 37

Yes its on 21EC

Regards

RG
0 Ratings
R_G
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 37

@licquorice Please see the options on the IPV4 Configuration page. You can have the same IP ALWAYS assigned to a device if you want, even if it is DHCP.
Regards

RG
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 37

Exactly. My point is that it is issued by DHCP whether it varies or remains constant if configured at the router. A true static IP address can only be achieved by setting it on the device itself in which case the client doesn't issue a DHCP request to the server.

Issued by the router it is an unchanging dynamic address, not a static address.

0 Ratings
Mrlist
Beginner
Message 26 of 37

Received my Hub6 this week and yes! ive had nothing but problems. The worst being constant dropouts. Even hard wired computer simply stops or goes slow.  Revert back to Hub5 and all works well. Do BT actually test their Hubs? Now seen that BT had problems yesterday/today with a London service provider however nothings changed here so guess its not that.

im going to request a replacementhub and see what i get.

0 Ratings
globe1nh
Contributor
Message 27 of 37

As I've posted before, there's clearly something wrong with the address assignment function in the current version of the SmartHub Manager.  It's been pointed out already that the Hub can be configured to always assign a specific IP address to a given device.  As far as I can see the SmartHub Manager only allows you to assign the IP address that's already been assigned by the hub, rather than to enter your own choice.  This option is enabledin the  by flipping a soft switch "Always use this IP address:" from No to Yes.  The Info text states "If enabled, the BT Smart Hub will always attempt to give the device the same IP address every time it connects".  Should be straightforward?  Well no, actually.

First off, there is also a soft button "Address assignment".  Clicking on the button allows you to select either DHCP or Static modes.  The Info text states "This shows whether the local IP address is assigned by the BT Smart Hub or by the device.".  However the soft switch and soft button are linked, so if you set the switch on "Yes" then the soft button goes to "Static", and if the switch is on "No" then the soft button goes to "DHCP".  Changing the button setting changes the switch setting - so you can nly have "Yes+Static" or "No+DHCP".

But whatever setting you make, when you save the settings and go back to the device screen the settings have reverted to the original position.

And sometimes at randon I'll find that a device previously shown as "Static" then appears as "DHCP", even if I've not tried to change the settings.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 37

This whole concept of 'static' addresses configured by a router is ridiculous.
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 29 of 37

Agreed, but it's the terminology someone in marketing has decided to use. In the same way "orange is the new black", we now need to know that "static is the new reservation".
billynibbles
Beginner
Message 30 of 37

I've two minor problems with my HH6.

1. On my hard-wired PC, the ethernet connection is still named BTHub5-**** and I can't see anywhere this can be changed. Do I need to kill off the connection in the PC and start again?

2. I noticed that my HH6 is not transmitting a 'BT-with-FON' SSID and on checking the status page, I see that it says " BT Wi-Fi Status Not Active". I checked with the 'My BT' page at bt.com and I am definitely opted-in for BT Wi-Fi. The link next to the status entry is useless and only leads you through to a sales page for BT wi-fi. 

My major worry here is that I'll be blocked from using the BT Wi-fi network if the network takes this as an indicator that 'I'm not taking part'.

Any help with either of these would be gratefully received.

0 Ratings