cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paulr7894
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

BT Home Hub Disconnected Monday - No Active DSL Connection?

I am somewhat frustrated with BT at present in part because it seems impossible to speak with someone in the UK without an internet connection and as I am using my phone and data to post this please bear with me:
I had BT Infinity and BT phone line installed in September 2015. Everything worked flawlessly until last Saturday night - the hub lost its broadband connection and despite a restart and reset wouldn't reconnect. I phoned the Customer Service number whereby an indian lady abruptly told me their systems were down, so she couldn't help thank you and goodbye before hanging up on me. After getting over the shock of that Customer Service experience I assumed it was a network issue and by Sunday morning it had reconnected though connection was slower. All seemed okay until Monday afternoon when the hub disconnected again displaying orange central light and flashing red B as it had before. Since then it will not reconnect telling me my DSL broadband isn't connected (or suggests in the hub trouble shooting that it hasn't been activated yet). I rang Customer Services (India) again and eventually asked to be transferred to somebody in the UK who was helpful but couldn't offer me anything earlier than 15th Aril for an engineer to visit. In the meantime I have tried different vdsl routers and both confirm there is no dsl connection even though cables are connected (I have tried several in case the original hub cable was faulty but it makes no difference). I have concluded that my infinity has either been disconnected accidentally or there is an issue between my new build property and the cabinet. I am rapidly losing patience as BT don't seem quite as Customer focussed as I had hoped and I am wondering what else, if anything I can do apart from wait another week for the engineer 😕

The BT Home Hub 5 is connected to a double socket, the silent line test was quiet (phone line works fine) and there is no suggestion on service status ages of issues any where. Frequent resets and restarts achieve nothing but if there is no active dsl service coming to a router or hub this doesn't surprise me.
0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
JacquiF
Beginner
Message 2 of 23

Re: BT Home Hub Disconnected Monday - No Active DSL Connection?

Having EXACT same problem!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 23

by double socket do you mean like this  fibre SSFP.jpg

if so have you tried using the test socket (black arrow) with a filter and see if that works  if not then problem outside your home

test-socket-thumb.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Paulr7894
Contributor
Message 4 of 23

Thank you for your reply and yes I bit the bullet and tried a direct connection with plug in filter splitter to no avail - I cant help but think something externally has cocked up my connection. It doesnt help when you end up going round in circles trying to talk to someone at BT when you are without internet who understands the issue exists. I forgot to mention that the BT engineer did bypass my first socket to place the master where it is - it is so frustrating when everything had been working so well especially when we have done nothing to alter how the engineer set it up. I do think my broadband has somehow become disconnected because nothing else makes any sense 😕
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

as long as nothing at test socket then should not be charged for engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Paulr7894
Contributor
Message 6 of 23

Thank you for the reassurance I appreciate it but I am disappointed not just at losing service but the delayed response from BT - I'm sure if I was late paying for one of my services they'd be quicker to chase me for it
0 Ratings
Paulr7894
Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Out of curiosity - when you report a fault does anything start to happen to rectify it behind the scenes or does diagnosis start when the engineer visits? I wonder because my fault tracking doesn't tell me anything other than what it told me when I reported the problem from what I can see 😐
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 8 of 23

@Paulr7894 I'm sorry to see you're broadband is broken. If the helpdesks have identified your fault needs a visit no further diagnostic checks are done until the engineer arrives as the helpdesk have likely established that it can't be sorted remotely.

Unfortunately all you can do now is wait until the engineer visit for further progress to be made and I am sorry for any inconvenience caused in the meantime. Post back to let us know how the visit goes.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Paulr7894
Contributor
Message 9 of 23

@NeilO Thank you for that information Neil which confirms what I had thought though that in itself is rather disappointing to hear especially as the support people in India suggested otherwise in a phone call to me yesterday (in response to a complaint I had made concerning the delay). I will keep the forum posted if progress is made but irrespective of the outcome I will be changing provider once my minimum contract term is reached. I had expected more from BT but their Customer Service really does need improvement as I have been constantly finding myself running round in circles when dealt with by the call centre based abroad and it seems all communications to BT to talk about an issue, by whatever means, always take us there or an online resource that cannot be easily accessed or navigated on a phone. I appreciate problems can arise and can be complex to correct but BTs communication channels are terrible (worse than Virgin Media and they take some beating) which just compounds the frustration of losing a service which is used to access and manage almost all aspects of everyday life. Thank you again for the information and for taking the time to respond to me I do appreciate it.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 23

The engineers come from Openreach not BT and would be the same engineers and network as every other Provider apart from the cable operators and BT gets no preferential service under rules laid down by OFCOM the call centre can only advise you of the information they receive I understand your frustration it sounds like your problem may be quite a complex one that is taking longer than normal to resolve
0 Ratings