cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abalaam
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT Home Hub V3 DNS problem

I have discovered a problem with HH3 's ability to resolve domain names.

If my computer is using the HH3 as the DNS (192.168.1.254), it will not resolve a CNAME i.e a domain name that points to another. If I set my computer up to use the DNS that HH3 uses (213.120.234.70 and/or 213.120.234.42) directly, then these types of name resolve properly.

I have never seen this sort of behaviour with any other router. Has anybody else seen this problem?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Home Hub V3 DNS problem

If you use Google public DNS or OpenDNS it will work. There does not seem much point in entering the BT ones, as they are automatically assigned by DHCP, or if you set the DNS to 192.168.1.254.

0 Ratings
abalaam
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Keith,

When a computer connects to the HH3 and DHCPs its IP address, it is also given the DNS to use (which is set to the HH3's IP address - for mine 192.168.1.254).  HH3 does not seem to offer an option that allows one to choose the DNS address that is given out.

I tried the experiment of manually assigning the two BT DNS addresses just to see if the problem was with BT's name servers or with the HH3. The problem is with the HH3, not BT's name server. I do not intend to manually assign DNS addresses to each of my machines just to get over a bug in the HH3's firmware.

The HH3 has a number of problems which means I'm probably going to have to buy another router.

1. Cannot have my home network with addresses out of the 10.x.x.x range

2. If a machine is connected via Ethernet cable for a while and when the cable is disconnected an attempt is made to connect it via WIFI, it fails to connect. This problem also makes it impossible to have another wireless access point (which I have)

3. This DNS problem

I would imagine that all these problems could be fixed with a change in the firmware.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

This is used by BT Wifi/FON

2. If a machine is connected via Ethernet cable for a while and when the cable is disconnected an attempt is made to connect it via WIFI, it fails to connect. This problem also makes it impossible to have another wireless access point (which I have)

That is because the internal Ethernet switch remembers the old MAC address and routing, and does not release it to the wifi interface.

I believe that this is an issue with the HH3 version B.

3. This DNS problem

Locked by BT to prevent the user altering it to point to suspect DNS servers I suspect.

The TP-Link TD-W8960N is a popular replacement, as it can be used on ADSL and Infinity.

See

Using the TP-Link TD-W8960N on ADSL     

Using a TP-Link TD-W8960N on Infinity

0 Ratings
abalaam
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

3. This DNS problem

Locked by BT to prevent the user altering it to point to suspect DNS servers I suspect.

As I said before, BT's DNS is good - it's just what the HH3 does. HH3 screws up proper DNS resolution. If the HH3 passed on to DHCP clients the BT DNS address rather than the HH3 as the DNS, things would work properly. It is the HH3 not dealing correctly with DNS requests that is the problem. That is definitely a firmware bug! No question about it!

That is because the internal Ethernet switch remembers the old MAC address and routing, and does not release it to the wifi interface.

I believe that this is an issue with the HH3 version B.

This, in my opinion, is also just a firmware bug.

This is used by BT Wifi/FON

I would expect an 'advanced settings' menu should enable one to tailor the operation of the router so it fitted in with the local network policy! There is no reason (in my opinion) why BT WiFi/FON should require those specific address ranges.

Taking into account the WiFi performance of the HH3 is pants (it may be their best wifi ever, but it's not as good as either DLINK or Netgear offerings that I've have had experience with) the HH3 has little going for it! I wonder if BT are aware of the shortcomings and intend to release proper firmware for this piece of equipment?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

All DNS requests are passed to the default gateway on port 53 for resolution. All of the BT home hubs work that way, including the home hub 1, which I use. Its not a bug, its by design.

0 Ratings
Haqa
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Surely though if the homehub is not interpretting the data but simply forwarding it to a suitable external nameserver then CNAME and A records would resolve equally well (All other things being equal).

Given that the OP is reporting that certain RR responses are not being returned correctly, this suggests more is happening inside the HH. Does this mean that the HH actually has a caching or forward-only nameserver inside? If so can its operation be influenced (read: configured)?

While I'm sure we all respect the good intentions of BT in attempting to protect us from using "suspect" DNS servers, we all know which road is paved with them. I wonder if BT might be persuaded to make reconfiguring DNS operation (and the DNS related DHCP option values) an advanced option?

Thanks

0 Ratings
jvuarand
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

I have the exact same problem. For some reason my Windows machine is fine (though a bit slow to resolve new websites), but my ArchLinux machine seems unable to cope with it (at least the package manager doesn't).

I'm manually fixing the DNS entries of all my computers, but this is very annoying. I'd rather have the router either advertise BT DNS servers or behave properly if acting as a DNS itself.

0 Ratings
jeff93n
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

For windows users, a quick fix is to add an entry in you host file the extra line needs to be:

192.168.1.245        home

becareful there seperation between the IP address and name has to be a <Tab> charecter

the host file is located in: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

NB: you can use notepad to edit it, but for Windows 7 onwayds UAC will prevent you form saving it back to the same location.  So save it to your desktop then move it back into the original folder.

WARNING: always take a backup of your old host file first!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

You reallly meant to say 192.168.1.254   home.

0 Ratings