Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Teppotastic
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT Home Hub restarting itself

For the past 2 or 3 days, I'm finding my BT Home Hub is restarting itself a lot. I previously did not have a problem with any form of self-restarting of the Home Hub.

I'm not sure what version it is, but if you tell me where to find it, I'll be happy to provide whatever information might help in a diagnosis.

It's happening about 6-12 times a day. Sometimes hours apart, sometimes only 20mins. I was thinking it might be maintence issues (we had a large electrical storm in the county on Tuesday (4 days ago) which caused 3 local power surges to affect my house (I did disconnect everything between the 1st and the 2nd). But there was no issue with the router resetting until a full 2 days after that.

It also does not appear to be running hot and the use of the seperate phones seems to be unaffected.

So... any ideas anyone? Any help is appreciated 😄

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Home Hub restarting itself

your exchange here for problems  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

this will let you decide hub version  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10490/~/bt-home-hub-security-advice

are you connected to the master or test socket?  master looks like this  master socket.jpg

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results .

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Teppotastic
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Okay, so it looks like it's a HomeHub 1.0 judging from those pictures, my closest exchange is http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Pembroke&exact=758 and doesn't show that there's been any outtages in this time-frame.

The Hub is connected to the Master socket through an extension, it's not probably not the best solution but it's all we have available to us at present. But that hasn't changed for years, and certainly not during the timeframe of the current problems.

The following is the result of the Speedtester.bt.com tool:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1567 Kbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :4864 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 3500 Kbps

The following is the information from the HomeHubs ADSL status page:

Uptime:0 days, 4:41:22
Modulation:G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:448 / 4,864
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:43.29 / 157.62
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:28.0 / 50.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:22.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 4,979
CRC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 45
HEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 40
Line Profile:Interleaved
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

your router stats looks ok apart from the short connection time.  it could easily be your old extension cable is now causing a noise problem which would result in resets.  is it possible to move the router to the master socket and then use a longer rj45 (ethernet) cable to connect your pc to your router and do away with the extension?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Teppotastic
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I'll look into using longer RJ45 extensions.

The numbers for noise look pretty much the same as they ever have been. within about 2-4dB, so I wouldn't have thought that would be causing random router restarts. Incidentally it really is a restart of the entire Hub. Not just dropping the broadband connection.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

if it's the hub that's resetting and not just the internet sounds like the old HH1 could be on way out.  do you have another router to try to eliminate a HH1 problem?

are you out of contract so could renegotiate a new contract at probably reduced cost and also a new HH3 as part of the deal?

0 Ratings
Teppotastic
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

I'll have to check the contract but that might be a good idea.

Will keep an eye on it over the next 7 days and if it doesn't clear up then I'll get it replaced.

Thanks for the advice 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Could be the HH1 power supply unit, I know of a few that have failed with similar problems. They normally cause a hard reset. You can look at the event log to determine what is going on. If the log is cleared each time, then a full restart has happened.

If you can get hold of a spare 9v 1A switched mode power unit, you could try that.

The HH1 is still one of the best ones, apart from the BT Voyager range, which BT used to supply.

Plug top switch mode power units are quite cheap these days, and usually come with different output plugs. Maplin Electronics is one place that sell them.

0 Ratings