cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisbrighouse
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

BT HomeHub 3 wifi loses connection

I have upgraded from a BT HomeHub (v1?) to the new HomeHub3, with the promise of faster speeds and less interference.  Unfortunately, several of my devices won't connect for more than a few minutes before disconnecting.  This particularly applies to 2 Logitech Squeezebox Radios, and 2 (new) Samsung LED internet enabled TVs.  I have tried various settings including WEP, b/g but it makes no difference.

I've had to go back to my old Homehub which is working fine, but won't be able to support infinity when it arrives next month.

Now I'm considering connecting the 2 hubs together with the old one for Wifi and the new one for everything else, but this is obviously crazy.  Getting BT Vision next week, but now fully expecting that not to work either.

Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT HomeHub 3 wifi loses connection

I had a similar problem, but with my Home Hub 2.

I ran inssider (http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/) found a clear channel and set it to that.

This greatly improved things but not completely.

Anyhow the first thing I did when I got HH3 (and Infinity)..... I deselected the smart wireless and set it to this free/clear channel.

This seems to have completely cured the problem.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
blueelephant
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

I also have the same problem with Home Hub3.

I've used inssider and found an unused channel but the wireless internet keeps dropping. The strange thing is that I can still browse other devices on my network using the wireless connection, just not the internet. And I know the internet connection is ok as I have had these problems whilst accessing the internet through a wired connection. Previously I had a netgear router from Sky and had no problems at all.

It appears to be even worse when using an iPod Touch or iPhone, I rarely seem to get a connection.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 12

I replaced the HH3 with my own router as soon as the engineer left. Not had any problems at all.

0 Ratings
blueelephant
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

The only solution I've found so far is to disable wireless on the HH3  and to use my old Sky Netgear router for wireless. I've found disabling DHCP on the HH3 has also improved things.

Whilst trying different combinations of settings I did find deleting a device from the HH3 Home Network view enabled that device to access the Internet again, but doing that each there's a problem is not practical.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Tillypup
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

I've found the same issue as the OP, I have my HH2 setup for WIFI and the HH3 just for cable connections, using this guide - http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/repeaterhubswired.html.

I agree it is a crazy thing to do but at least the WIFI is stable and I can use Infinity, I will replace this combo with something decent when I can decide what to buy.

0 Ratings
sirjamesp
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

I have a similar problem with a HH3 - lost connections ("limited access") periodically when using a Windows 7 laptop. Although no other device seems to have the same problem (but neither did the laptop til HH3 came along).
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

you are posting on a 2 year old post limited access problems are well listed if you do a google search microsoft have help pages on the subject
0 Ratings
sirjamesp
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

Wow, so I am. How odd - this thread was on the front page for some reason (which was how I saw it).

I've tried the Microsoft fixes with no success. The reason I suspect the HH is (a) everything worked fine with the old HH, and (b) the HH does other weird stuff - e.g. the BT WiFi & Fon signal strengths drop to zero every 60 secs or so, then after 5 secs surge back to full strength. I was half-wondering if this is "confusing" the laptop, which must keep seeing new signals that it can connect to. I might opt out of BT Fon for a while and see if this resolves things.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

have you tried your old hub and see if the problem is still there
0 Ratings