cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zombie5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BT HomeHub 4 Internet connection problem

Just upgraded from BT HomeHub 3 to BT HomeHub 4 - no Internet connection using BT HomeHub 4 on one of my laptops!!

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L30-105

Operating system: Vista Home Edition (32 bit) Service Pack 2

Wireless Network Adapter: Atheros AR5005G

I understood BT HomeHub 4 supported wireless "g" type protocol??

Is Vista operating the problem!! 

All suggestions/comments welcome

Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT HomeHub 4 Internet connection problem

Have you entered the new security code for the hub 4 into your laptop
0 Ratings
zombie5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

yes I have entered security key and restarted the laptop  

Regards

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 11

remove settings from windows regarding wireless, reboot and re-join

vista and windows 7 have issues when connecting to a new wireless network

0 Ratings
zombie5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Hi,

I have managed to connect to internet through BT HH4 using cable connection - I have BT Infinity 1 and associated router

Tried wireless set up utilising your recommended proceedure together with wireless adapter settings:

Security type: WPA2-Personal

Encryption type: AES

Security key: code on HH4

My laptop wireless network adapter is Ateros AR5005G - does this need to be dual technology to work with BT HH4??

My other newly purchased Dell laptop having Windows 7 works fine!!

Regards

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

There seems to have been a sudden increase in wifi activity around here, and my Windows 7 laptop seems to have benefitted from the fact that it's now the only device operating on 5GHz (according to InSSIDer). It needed a little tweak before it would connect though, and I'm putting it here in case it helps.

Control Panel > Device Manager > expand Network adapters > double-click the adapter > Advanced > change Value to Auto if it's set to 20MHz Only.

As your other laptop is connecting OK it might be worth comparing the settings.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
zombie5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Hi

spent most of last night trying to connect my older laptop on to broadband.

now have succeeded in establishing a cable connection from laptop to Infinity 1 router

the BT HH 4 wireless setup does not recognise the equipment security key - even though I have tried several time

my laptop wireless network adapter is an Atheros AR5005G which I assume uses "g" type wireless protocol and works fine on BT HH 3

however, BT HH 4 utilises dual band technology - still trying to establish difference!!

do I need a laptop dual band dongle to get wireless BT HH 4 broadband for this laptop??

all suggests/comments welcome

thank you

0 Ratings
zombie5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Hi pottyperson

my operating system on the concerned laptop is Windows Vista with Service Pack 2

started using your suggest proceedure and got as far as double click>advanced>  then list of items that can be amended but cannot see where to change "value to auto"??

Regards 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

Sorry, I intended that for general info and overlooked the fact that your adapter doesn't support 5GHz. That shouldn't stop it connecting to the 2.4 band though, and I'm sure some further suggestions will come along.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

The Atheros wireless manager can cause a lot of issues, and its best to use Windows to manage your wireless connection.

There is usually an option on the manager to disable it, and use Windows Zero Configuration instead.

You also need to make sure that your laptop has the latest updated wireless drivers, from the manufacturers website.

If all else fails, then you will have to alter the home hub wireless encryption to "WPA only"

0 Ratings