Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snowy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

BT HomeHub 5A Firmware upgrade resulting in multiple connection drops

Go to solution

Hi,

Like so many others the firmware upgrade has taken my HomeHub down.  Drops connection regularly on Ethernet, done all the standard stuff, reset, restart, etc.  What next BT, hub swap out?, v frustrating, sigh.......

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
IceZaroth
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT HomeHub 5A Firmware upgrade resulting in multiple connection drops

Go to solution

What ever you do meantime until someone higher up gets back to you DO NOT hard reset the router again as your wiping valuable logs that could show what might be causing your issue.

0 Ratings
Snowy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for the advice @IceZaroth.  Anyone know how to fix it?

0 Ratings
IceZaroth
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

They have already collected in multiple hubs with the fault and the investigation team is working the problem, once they find a solution and there will be one they will release and fix the issue until that time its a waiting game

0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Some of these Hubs seem to be 'brick like' so how will a firmware update get through?

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @Snowy  Sorry your connection is dropping. Most of the cases we've looked at so far have not been Hub related but the problem is caused by network issues.

Can you try a quiet line test by dialling 17070 from your BT Landline? If using a corded phone then the test should be quiet if you're using a cordless phone then you may hear a low hum.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Snowy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution
Hi I've tried the test, no problems with it at all on the test. I don't mind what it is, but timing wise it started at exactly same time as the firmware update. Spotted this through connections dropping, but also Netflix and Spotify started buffering very frequently whereas previously they hadn't buffered at all. Do let me know what next.
Snowy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution
See above @JohnC2 thanks.
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @Snowy Thanks for checking that. I appreciate you just want to get whatever is causing the drops fixed. 

Would you check how your connection is when connected to the test socket.

Cheers

John 

0 Ratings
Snowy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @JohnC2,

The faceplate is an Openreach Mk2 so has two sockets on it.  I took the full faceplates off and plugged my homehub directly into the test socket with a micro filter but couldn't get it work at all, flashing red b on the hub.  I've pieced it all back together and at the moment it seems stable.  Wonder if there was a loose connection or dust somewhere?  Anyway, I'll see how it goes, strange that the test socket didn't seem to work for me, maybe I was doing something wrong.

0 Ratings