0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 82 of 233

Re: BT HomeHub firmware upgrade broken network connectivity Ubuntu

OK doke, here goes.

1) From the menu, open Applications|Accessories|Terminal

2) In the terminal screen, type "ifconfig -a"

3) Look for the line beginning "eth1" and take a note of the HWaddr in that line which looks a bit like 00:0A:BC:CD:EF:F0

4) Now type "sudo gedit /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

5) Enter your password when prompted

6) Find the line that starts "# send dhcp-client-identifier ....."

7) Delete the "#"

😎 Replace the HWaddr in the line with the one you noted in step 3 - except drop the first "0" so your HWaddr will now look like 0:0A:BC:CD:EF:F0

9) Save the file

10) You should now be able to connect

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 83 of 233

Thanks for that stoe.  Re-connected my Hub 2 and used that setting and it connected straight away.  Feeling brave, I then went into Windows 7 and then back to Ubuntu.  It didn't work.

I then tried the fixed IP route.  It worked.  To set this:

right click on network manager in the notification area at the top and click on 'Edit Connections'

Click on the Wireless or Wired tab as appropriate, click on the connection you want and click on Edit

Under IPv4 settings click Add to enter this information:

IP Address - 192.168.1.xx (last 2/3 digits any available address on your network)

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway - 192.168.1.254

DNS Server - 192.168.1.254.

The finished article will look something like this

Screenshot-Editing Auto Your Network Name.png

Remember to make it available to all users if you have have more than one user on your PC and it will all work fine.

I also tried the option of removing my laptop from the DHCP table.  That works too, but I just need to remember not to go back into Windows for a long time which I generally don't do anyway.  I will also mention that I tried the fixed IP and removal from DHCP options while still having the setting as described in stoes post set.

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 84 of 233

Another  Linux Ubuntu 10.10  /windows (ME!) user with connection problems following firmware upgrade. Now back online with Ubuntu, works through a switch. Thanks to stoe and notoriousdbp.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 85 of 233

Ubuntu 10.10 laptop now connecting to homehub after the firmware update problems.

The dhclient edit posted by stoe along with a static ip address has worked for me. Thanks to everyone for the helpful info posted here.

I’m sure there must be many others who have not come across this forum who are still suffering with the problem, so I hope BT will soon issue an update to correct the problems they caused.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 86 of 233

@sambartle wrote:

Has anyone tried setting the Client ID yet as I described on page 7?

Im interested if thats the problem.

Yes I've tried it and I think that may be the reason that my Ubuntu install is working.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 87 of 233

Many thanks  notoriousdbp all working now on linux mint,perfect fix.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 88 of 233

Setting a static IP isnt actually fixing the problem though, you are just not using the DHCP feature of the router.

Assuming you want to use DHCP, then setting the Client ID does actually mean DHCP is still being employed as it should be.

In actual fact the router is behaving partially correctly by failing.. as the client ID's are different, although it is obviously comparing the MAC's as well and getting confused as technically it should probably hand out a second IP to the new client ID... which would get confusing as you would have 2 devices wiht the same MAC and different IPs

It's arguable therefore that the hub is actually behaving as you might expect. (but not how it did in the past)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 89 of 233

So ... they do not support Linux, but their router runs on Linux. What a bunch of corporate tossers.

Having the same problems over here with my Ubuntu 10.10 and Fedora 14 setups. The problem happens when switching from Windows into Linux.

The only workaround I was able to find is to delete my computer's record in the hub's DHCP table - shortly after the restart but before Linux loads up. I use GRUB to pause the process and do this through my phone. Pain - hardly helpful to anyone.

Mark

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 90 of 233

Hi All

I have just signed in so I can get in on this, I have been having the same problem. After I recently upgraded my lap top with new RAM which as a lot of you know can involve a lot of dismantling I started my machine up in XP & it worked fine! I then tried booting Ubuntu 10.10 on the same machine no wireless or wired connection??? Thinking it must be something I did whilst upgrading (you can see where I am going with this) I have checked dismantled re-checked, reverted my upgrades (in desperation) all to no avail. I then fished out my Belkin Wireless N usb adapter plugged it in & still I could not connect(please bear in mind the USB adapter has another MAC ID so figure that on out)

Today I have installed Ubuntu 11 thinking it may sort it & that does not work.

Meanwhile my wife's little Eee PC which dual boots the Asus O/S & Ubuntu 10.04 netbook edition works fine using both O/S.

I will try the fixes shown on this thread but I am more confused now than I was as if it was a DHCP wouldn't my wife's Netbook be playing up? Could the answer bee a combination of something in the newer versions of Ubuntu & the BT firmware update???

This is a shame because I have always used Windows & I was just starting to get to grips & enjoy a Linux distro & although this wont put me off I could see a lot of people losing the plot & Linux losing ground as people think there O/S is to blame & to hard to figure out. While all they have to do with Windows is plug it in & off you go.

Does anyone know if Microsoft has recently bought BT???

@lowebb wrote:

whatever you guys have done with the latest firmware release on the Homehub 2 has completely messed up my dual-boot Ubuntu-Win7 installation.

Current firmware 4.7.5.1.83.3.18 (Type B)

Last Updated 21/04/11

Ever since Friday when I boot into Win7 then reboot into Ubuntu, Ubuntu cannot aquire an IP address from the router. I have to do a factory reset on the router to get an address. I've 10's of port forwarding setup and this is far from ideal.

What do I do to go back a firmware or who do I contact to get it fixed.

Its a bit pathetic TBH and I'm quite annoyed about this

0 Ratings