cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lowebb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 233

BT HomeHub firmware upgrade broken network connectivity Ubuntu

whatever you guys have done with the latest firmware release on the Homehub 2 has completely messed up my dual-boot Ubuntu-Win7 installation.

Current firmware 4.7.5.1.83.3.18 (Type B)

Last Updated 21/04/11

Ever since Friday when I boot into Win7 then reboot into Ubuntu, Ubuntu cannot aquire an IP address from the router. I have to do a factory reset on the router to get an address. I've 10's of port forwarding setup and this is far from ideal.

What do I do to go back a firmware or who do I contact to get it fixed.

Its a bit pathetic TBH and I'm quite annoyed about this

0 Ratings
232 REPLIES 232
lowebb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 233

Re: BT HomeHub firmware upgrade broken network connectivity Ubuntu

Come one guys, bring a response and dont ignore this. I've already caught another Ubuntu user with the same issue and they are going to be coming here.

Its gonna bite you in the ass
0 Ratings
blueskyabove
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 233

I've got exactly the same (baffling) problem with my BT HomeHub 2 and Ubuntu 10.10. - worked fine last Wednesday (20th April) and won't work today (26th April). Can see the router just fine but won't connect wirelessly or wired but will connect to BT Open Zone which is enabled on my hub and a couple of other hubs nearby. The OpenZone connection is full strength (which is my hub) - none of the neighbouring connections has ever been a full strength signal. Very odd.

Checked to see if it was my Ubuntu set up by running the machine off the installation disk and got exactly the same symptoms. My HomeHub also updated its firmware some time on the 21st April so, given that nothing else has changed (my windows 7 laptop has continued to work flawlessly) I am driven to the conclusion, like other correspondents here, that the HomeHub update is the culprit.

Ubuntu is growing and it would be good to see BT do some work on this quickly.  

0 Ratings
olly230
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 233

there was a firmware update?

that could explain why I'm getting issues.

I had a HUB go bad and mess up my speed.

From about the 20th my hub has been playing the same game as the old one.

0 Ratings
blueskyabove
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 233

I've posted a complaint to BT - it might help if others do the same rather than just leave the issue here
0 Ratings
idobson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 233

Same issue with a HTC Desire Android device, it won't accept an IP via DCHP, set it manually and it connects. Where do I post the complaint too?

Additional info: The firmware on the Home Hub was updated on 23rd April and I noticed the problem the following day.

0 Ratings
benmepis
Message 7 of 233

I have the same problem. The recent BT Hub upgrade appears to have messed up eth0 connectivity in some versions of Linux.

XP still works using wired and wireless connections but Mepis 64bit 11 (RC3), Mint 10 KDE and Gnome are all affected on family computers. Using Mepis I  can set up a new wired connection that works until re-boot, then defaults to eth0 and fails to connect.

Puppy Linux (Lupu 525) is unaffected. Is there a Debian link?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 233

Hi All,

This is not a issue I am aware but I am getting this looked into. Once I know more I will post an update on the thread.

Thanks

Paddy,

0 Ratings
blueskyabove
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 233

Well, having made a complaint online to BT today (26th April), I got a call back. Basically, they agreed that probably the upgrade to the BT Home Hub has changed the way the router works with Ubuntu/Linux so that it no longer works. They also said that they support Windows and Mac but they don't support Linux - a circumstance shared by Mac users a while ago until BT decided to support their operating system. There seem to be two options from here: firstly, to put pressure on BT to accept Ubuntu/Linux as a system to support; secondly, replace the BT HomeHub with another BT compatible wireless router which doesn't update from time to time via BT. Alternatively as a third option though a great nuisance, I suppose those of us who care enough could simply take business away from BT and go elsewhere provided the alternative did support Linux.
0 Ratings
Fromagey
Message 10 of 233

I've been suffering the same problem with various forms of Linux, tried all sorts, rolling back to previous kernels etc assuming that an update had broken it. I then found the firmware info in the Home Hub settings and saw that there had been an update on 23/04/11 so figured it must be that. A quick google brought me here and I have now just filled in an online complaint also. It really is not acceptable that Linux is not supported and may even have been deliberately crippled!

0 Ratings