cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
priyp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

BT Homehub 5/6 ... vertical or horizontal ???

Hi.

Is it important to have Homehub 5 placed horizontal or vertical ?? And is the same important for the Homehub 6 ??

Sadly our BT master socket comes into the house through our kitchen back wall ... where the builders put in all the kitchen cabinets.

In order to have the home hub out of the cupboards, we have to lay it on its front (so the Ethernet cables can be plugged into its back). I am guessing this is far from ideal ??

We suffer from poor wireless signal upstairs ... do the built in antennae benefit from being vertical ??

I guess the important question is would a HomeHub 6 perform better than a 5 in this situation ??

Thanks in advance for yr thoughts.

Seasons Greetings to all

priyp

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Homehub 5/6 ... vertical or horizontal ???

You can test for yourself, unplug the cables temporarily and re-orientate the hub and see if the signal strength changes, also try changing channels. I would be very surprised if a Hub6 gave any better wireless performance. A third party router with external moveable aerials would be a better option. You could always improve the signal upstairs by means of homplug hotspots such as these

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Use a signal strength analyser app such as InSSider for a laptop or wifi analyzer by farproc on an Android phone to get a proper view of signal strength rather than just the strength bars on a Windows device.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

just to add that I have and use a HH6 and compared it against a tplink VR2600 with 4 external aerials which I have and the wireless signal using a wifi app on android gave very similar signal strength results all over my home.  So having 4 external aerials does not always provide better coverage  the tplink does have far more facilities though

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings