cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

BT Homehub version 3 - Firewall?

I have the version 3 Home Hub. Is this  automaticaly a firewall for my pc or do I have to activate something or have additional protection? (btw I use free Avasti for virus checking)

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Homehub version 3 - Firewall?

All of the home hubs have a firewall which will prevent unwanted incoming connections. If you have other computers on your local network then its a good idea to make sure the Windows firewall is enabled on Windows machines.

The hub firewall will not protect you against programs on your computer which access the Internet without your permission, like trojans, that you may have accidentally downloaded.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Thanks very much for your reply. So i assume that the Hub protects my main PC as a firewall and as I use Spybot abd Ad-Adware that is protection against Trojans etc (as mentioned I use Advasti as a virus checker.) The only other computer I use is my laptop which uses the Hub but I have Windows Defender enabled so are you saying that is ok as my firewall for that?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Windows defender has been superseded by Microsoft Security Essentials, which you can download from the official Microsoft site at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/security-essentials

For most people, your firewall/virus protection is fine. If you experiment with untested/unknown software, then a firewall like Zone Alarm is a useful addition.

This program can create lots of alerts, so you have to know how to deal with them.

0 Ratings