cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
groovychris
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT Hotspot 500 Kit

Later this month, I intend to upgrade from BT Total Broadband 2 to Unlimited BT Infinity 1 and do a self-install.

What I'd like to know is, if my Home Hub 5 is downstairs in the living room (where my laptop is), what sort of speed should I expect to get on my desktop upstairs, if I connect it directly to the Hotspot 500 via a CAT6 ethernet cable?

Also, I have a streaming media player (which supports b/g/n) connected to a television in an upstairs bedroom. If I were to connect this wirelessly to the upstairs hotspot, what sort of speed would I be likely to get? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Hotspot 500 Kit

Its difficult to say, as there are too many variables, but you would be better connecting the TV using the broadband extenders, which provide an Ethernet connection, rather than using wireless.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

As Keith has said, it is difficult to say, particularly as you do not know what speed you are starting from. ie. what speed do you actually get at the Homehub.

Have you run a check to see what speeds you will be estimated to get. Use this estimater and keep in mind you could be on either a range A or B line so your estimated speed will be between the lowest on Range B and highest on Range A.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

0 Ratings
groovychris
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

These are the results I received when I entered my phone number into the estimater:

FTTC Range A (Clean)

Downstream Line Rate (Mbps)

High: 80

Low: 69.3

Upstream Line Rate (Mbps)

High: 20

Low: 19.9

FTTC Range B (Impacted)

Downstream Line Rate (Mbps)

High: 80

Low: 55.9

Upstream Line Rate (Mbps)

High: 20

Low: 17.9

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

That shows that when your Infinity 1 is installed you should get maximum speeds for Infinity 1 ie 38Mbps down and 10Mbps up or very close to that.

It is still impossible to say what speeds you will loose using wireless because of all the variables involved such as construction of your house, distance to devices, wireless interference etc. so you should try it and see and if the speeds are to low for your needs consider the option Keith suggested.

0 Ratings