Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT Hub 5, ip issue, leaving contract in May

Hello BT forum,

I just wanted to ask a few questions in regards to the BT hub and how each ip is assigned/ allocated. I will keep it very short and on topic.

Now I have spoken to BT about this many times and they have no idea what I am talking about, perhaps this forum is more familiar with this type of issue.

Issue: when I connect any device, either wireless or wired, it gets the same ip. When I go to ip2location.com, I am getting the same ip all the time. This only ever changes if I disconnect/ restart the router. 

I have tried everything but can't seem to figure out why all the devices are getting the same ip, I haven't tweaked with any hub settings other than nortmal settings such as wifi, hub lights e.t.c.

I have spoken to level 2 and they haven't got any idea whatsoever what I am talking about. My contract finishes in May and am thinking about switching to talktalk, which I don't want to but unfortunately, level 2 technical support has been very poor at providing customer service.

If you have any suggestions in regards to this, please let me know.

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Hub 5, ip issue, leaving contract in May

That's your external IP address. The router gives each device it's own internal IP address and allows them to share the one external IP address, using a process known as NAT (network address translation).

--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thank you, that was a very fast reply.

So, my question is should the external ip remain the same all the time on all devices connected to the hub.

Tahnks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 5

Yeah, the router will keep the same IP address until you disconnect/restart it. It sounds like everything is working fine.
What problem do you have?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

I guess I don't have any problem then, I was so sure that it gives out a new ip each time a new device connects, unfortunately, I was wrong about that. 

Resolved, thank you legitimise_sailing.

0 Ratings