cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gary1961
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT Hub 5A DNS server issues

For the last week or so the hub will not resolve any web addresses using the default BT DNS servers. It's fine during the day but is a problem in the evenings. I can get around it by setting individual PCs to use 8.8.8.8 as the DNS server, but because you cannot change the address of the DNS servers in the hub itself it means resetting each connected device.

Sometimes the BT DNS servers will respond after a long wait, but they usually time-out. The next morning the BT DNS servers will be available again. My hub updated to the latest firmware last month, the -204 version and appears to have downloaded the recent patch update a day ago, although I don't know if it has fully installed it. Is there any way to tell by looking at the TR069 parameters in the hub logs?

I've had the odd problems with the BT DNS servers in the past but nothing like the last week, it's almost like someone turns them off after 5pm! Whilst the Google DNS servers provide a work-around, it's not a long term solution. Is anyone else having the same problem or know of a fix? I've done the usual resets etc, but don't want the speed to start dropping by doing any further resets. FYI the line stats are all OK.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Gary1961
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Hub 5A DNS server issues

A further update, the problem still exits this morning. Still have to use the Google DNS servers as the BT ones programmed in to the HH5 still aren't responding.

Whe the problem occurs the HH5 is not accesible via the bthomehub.home address but can be reached via 192.168.1.254 but responds very slowly.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

I suggest you try a factory reset of the hub
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/~/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-home-hub-to-its-factory-...

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Gary1961
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

I'd already tried that as mentioned in my original post. I've resolved the problem for now by turning off a wi-fi bridge that was connected to some a/v equipment. It would appear that an infinite loop had been occurring between that and the HH5. However, it's always worked in the past and the problem only occured in the last week or so and no changes were made to it's configuration.

Once I have the time I'll investigate further.

0 Ratings
AS1
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Hi - please could you tell me how you identified the bridge as the problem - I have the same issue and keen to resolve

0 Ratings
picktech
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

i also have the same problem to so any hlep would be greatfully recieved

had the bt engineer he says it the hub this will be my third, since feb 19th thought it was something to do with servers

regards picktech

0 Ratings