cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

BT Hub 6 ?

This Hub does not seem to be like here now it is Modem and Router combined are these dislikes with it as a modem function or as a router function?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Hub 6 ?

I'm sorry if this is not the info you are looking for but your question was a little obscure.

The hub 6 is a modem/router.  It cannot be used as a modem only.  If it is one designed for FTTC then it doesn't have a WAN port so cant really be used as router only either.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Sorry if worded badly.

To get fibre one used to have an Open Reach modem and then an ISP's router connected together (or indeed your own router) now today one gets a HUb which does these 2 functions in one box EG BT Hub6.

Now in these forums in general people do not like the Hub6 and say even the supermarket TP-link at £30 is better so get your own.   

So what is it people not like with hub6, is it within the function of its modem part or its router part?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 8

Ah.  Got it now.  Well, there have been many reports in the forum of issues with the Hub 6.  Failing LAN ports.  Poor or failing wireless.  Stability issues.  The list goes on.  Obviously though, quite a lot of Hubs, V6 or otherwise perform reasonably well.  More advanced users dislike Hubs, and other ISP supplied hubs/routers, call them what you will because of the sheer lack of configuration options and control over what is updated and when.  You need to remember that ISP modem/routers are designed with some very inexperienced users in mind.  They only want to plug in and go, with no need to 'learn' how to configure the thing.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Thanks, you see I have an OR modem which PlusNet supplied and when in use did not have the occasional disconnection like the Hub6 does.  So when I'm satisfied that my speed is going to go no lower and if the disconections persit I might give it a try.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 8

Might be a good idea not to have too many disconnections.   DLM can kick in and reduce the line speed.  Which apparently can take some time to recover.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

@Liam_ wrote:

Might be a good idea not to have too many disconnections.   DLM can kick in and reduce the line speed.  Which apparently can take some time to recover.

If ever.

My experience is it goes down and never up.  😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 8

Very true.  As you have the OR modem that let's you use whatever router you like.  Not necessarily having to look for something where the modem part is MCT compliant.  More info on that from here:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Problem-on-openreach-network-with-unapproved-vds...

0 Ratings