cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simon21
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT Hub hacked, replacement fails to work for 4 weeks - NO compensation offered

First my hub was hacked while I was not at home (and noone else was there either) and 35Gb of data used in 6 days. After several phone calls BT finally replaced my hub 3 with another hub 3 but this one was faulty in that there was literally no wifi signal.

BT simply refused to address this issue saying (and I qoute) that wifi is not guaranteed.   I told them that the hub was not fit for purpose and after 9 telephone calls (several of which they failed to call me at agreed times) they finally supplied a further hub which does work however they REFUSED to provide any compensation despite the fact that I had paid for 3 and a half weeks of service which I have not received.

I have been a BT customer for 33 years but when my contract endsI will move to another supplier as this is NOT what anyone should have to endure.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Hub hacked, replacement fails to work for 4 weeks - NO compensation offered

Why did you need a new hub in the first place?  You could simply reset the old one to factory defaults, then change the wireless password to something complex that only you know - and make sure that WEP is disabled, and then change the admin password while you're at it.

0 Ratings
Tony-gbr
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Re: BT Hub hacked, replacement fails to work for 4 weeks - NO compensation offered

Only the home hubs 1 and 2 were hackable. Perhaps someone had your wifi password and was using it?
0 Ratings
OnFire
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Apparantly WPS is hackable on many routers - if it is not disabled in router settings - possibly including Home Hub 3.

On some routers, even trying to disable WPS in the settings, does not fully disable it, and leaves it still open to this "Reaver" attack - but I seem to remember with the Home Hubs - providing WPS is disabled, they are safe from this attack.

0 Ratings
OnFire
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

I am fairly sure ISPs do not have any legal obligation to compensate you for your ISP supplied router being hacked, and really as previously posted, you did not need a new router, you just needed to reset it, and change the password.

0 Ratings