cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 28

BT Hub v2 steady orange

Hi - helping another neighbour with BT hub v2.  He is used to disconnections but its been off for 4 days now.  Here's what I've tested:-

1. BT wholesale beta speedtest (on his number from my house) says "during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service."

2. plugged hub into the master socket test port;  broadband light initially flashed purple for a couple of minutes (nice colours!) then turned solid brown (although I have now determined that it is orange).

(info from 

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11397/~/what-do-the-lights-on-my-bt-home-hub-2.0-mean...

)

EDIT: steady orange means "Wired connection to broadband is OK. Now connecting to Internet service - please wait"

Does this mean anything to anybody?

3. filters switched -no change; phone is ok; no fault reported in area (or his number).

Rang BT; spent an hour repeating what I had already done (fair enough - guess there's a fixed workflow).

Passed to "tech team" who will ring back later today.

Anything else I could/should have done?

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

Re: BT Hub v2 steady orange

did you trya factory reset using the recessed button on back and hold till lights flash?  did you try a different modem rj11 cable in case there is a problem?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 28

There's always something to try 🙂

Yes I tried a different RJ11.  No, I didn't do a factory reset. Will this lose any info?  I have a spare (not BT) router/modem with me but not sure if the chap I'm helping would know what his router/modem username/password is.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 28

You cannot do a speedtest on his number from your line. You would have to be connected to his hub, and therefore his line, before you can run the speedtest........

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 28

the signin is same for   bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password anything will do  many just use BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 28

"You cannot do a speedtest on his number from your line." (sorry, don't know how to quote). I understand I cannot get a download speed (obviously) but its useful to be able to get IP PROFILE and connection rate (up/down).  If this is naughty then I'm sorry but I only do it if a bt (or plusnet) friend/neighbour has a problem.

EDIT oh, its a v3 hub.

Oh b***er.  The v3 hub instructions say that a steady orange on broadband is "Not applicable".  (This after a flashing purple).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 28

there is nothing wrong with using the BT speedtest however it will only work on the line you are using you cannot test some one else's speed from your line
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 28

Dear me - my poor neighbour. Has spent about 3 hours on the phone to BT in the last 2 days. (I don't even think its the tech support).

If he wasn't ill (and at home) I don't know what he (or anybody else) would do.

A VOL was raised yesterday (hoorah!) and was also CLEARED. What? What? What?

If I post the VOL here can somebody summarise its status?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 28

If you log in to his hub via his wireless connection, and you are able to get a broadband connection you should be able to carry out the speedtest, which can give you the ip profile. You could also post the adsl stats.......Smiley Happy

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 28

No broadband conenction. BT hub (v3) broadband light is solid orange (after flashing purple for a couple of mins).

0 Ratings