cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMCCANN
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT ID Verification Problem

When I log on to my BT account I'm greeted with a page prompting me to create one ID usersame and one password to access all BT services in the future. Once I click continue, I confirm my email address that I would like to use as my ID. However, when I try to confirm my current password it states that my password is incorrect, when I follow the forgotten password route, the security question that I am given is not the one that I had set up. I only have 24 days or so left to create the one user ID.

Since that failed, I skipped the steps and went straight to My Profile to change the username that way. I used my current email address and upon doing so an error message appeared: 

'This username already exists in another profile. Please use another email address or if you don't think this should already be in use, please contact us'

Could anyone please offer any advice on this problem?

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT ID Verification Problem

If you are already logging onto your BT account this would suggest that you already have a BTID. This would be the user name and password that you presently use to log onto your BT account.

To change your BTID you log on and go to MyProfile and edit the email address you have there. If it is not your present BT email address you should change it to be your BT email address. This will allow you to access all the BT services using your BT email address and password.

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44847/~/can-i-change-my-bt-id-username%3F

0 Ratings
JMCCANN
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the reply.

The BTID I currently have is one that I set up many years ago - its not an email address. So as I try to change it to my BT email address through My Profile, that's when the error message occurs stating its already used in another profile.

I don't wish to use a different email other than my BT email address

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

In your MyProfile in the section that has a contact email address, have you changed that to be your BT email address. If you do, that should change your BTID to be that BT email address.

You should not need to change the password in order to do that.

0 Ratings
JMCCANN
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

In My Profile, my contact email is my BT email address which is my only email address

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Don't give it, but do you use your BT email address to log onto your MyBT?

0 Ratings
JMCCANN
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

No, I currently use a username that I created many years ago, its words not an email address

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

I don't know why you can not change it in your MyProfile as per the link I posted.

There is nothing else I can suggest so I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
JMCCANN
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

No problem, thank you so much for your time and advice, I appreciate it

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 10 of 10

@JMCCANN I'm sorry about the problems with your BT ID, we'll need to take a look from our side to figure out whats happening with this. Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll be happy to help. You can find the link by clicking on my username .

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings