Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

BT ID problem?

Go to solution

Hi,

I have been a BT telephone customer for many years. Some time ago, I set up a BT ID using a six letter non-word as my user name/ID and this has worked fine for checking phone bills. 

Next week I will start Infinity 1 broadband and transfer from another ISP. My problem is, I do not have a BT email address and so can not sgn in for say WiFi/Fon I have tried the sign in panel and get a "ID not recognised" message. 

Please can anybody tell me how I can change my six letter, old ID to a usable BT email ID? I notice that I can't edit my contact details because my order is close to delivery.

I assume that I will need a BT ID for my Homehub sign in to go online also. Searches on here have not given me the answer I assume I need.

Thanks for any help.

Anthony

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT ID problem?

Go to solution

You need to go into MyBT and then go to "My Profile" and change your contact email address to your BT email address.

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44847/~/can-i-change-my-bt-id-username%3F

You will not be able to use a BT email address until you have set one up and I don't think you will be able to do that until your "My Extras" are activated in your MyBT.

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44888/~/how-do-i-create-a-new-email-address-(bt-mail-...

You do not need to enter any details into the Homehub for it to connect to the Internet. It is all done automatically through your phone line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you  gg30340 for your help, it all sounds very sensible.

Unfortunately as I explained, I am unable to edit any contact details at present, the reason given is that my order is nearing delivery, hopefully that facility will become available in due course. Presumably My Extras will also be usable in time too.

I don't really understand the email situation it appears there are two systems on the go simultaneously and from reading this forum, it seems they are not equally good. I wonder whether I will be given an opportunity to choose which I use.

I am relieved that HH. router login is automatic but I might like to use my present Billion 8800nl if that is possible and imagine that some sort of UN. and PW. would be required for this.

Thank you again for your helpful reply, a little more patience on my part seems to be required!

Anthony

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@TeeBee1 wrote:

I am relieved that HH. router login is automatic but I might like to use my present Billion 8800nl if that is possible and imagine that some sort of UN. and PW. would be required for this.

Perfectly possible. User name is  anything@btbroadband.com, password not required but if needed by router , BT will suffice. Authentication is via phone number hence generic login.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

As a new customer you will be put on the BTMail email system and not the BTYahoo system. You do not get a choice.

Your "My Extras" will become available when your account is activated however there have been occasions when it has taken a day or two after activation.

licquorice has supplied the log on details for your own VDSLmodem/router which I would advise you would be better to use instead of the Homehub5 which doesn't come without its problems. Have a look through the forum, it my help you decide.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks gg30340 and licquorice I think between you my query has been well sorted, brilliant. 

Now for change over date, I have fingers firmly crossed!

Best wishes,

Anthony

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Just a quick update.

My HH5a arrived two days ago. Today at about 10am I just happened to notice an Open Reach man working on the brand new cabinet just up the road. I politely asked if it was my Infinity change over he was working on - yes he said, and it will be connected by the time you get back home. Brilliiant! He was correct.

It took about three minutes to change the settings on my Billion 8800nl, the wireless settings being left as were, and after a few minutes initialzing, the broadband light came on and it worked, speed was very good too!

Email was then avaiable for me to set up almost immediately and I was prompted to make the BT email address the primary user for logging in to My BT. All carried out straightforwardly. The email receives and sends ok so it is praise all the way for BT in my change over from another ISP to FTTC BT Infinity1.

Thanks also again to  gg30340 and licquorice for their helpful advice in the anxious run up period.

Best regards,

Anthony

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Great post TeeBee1. Thanks for letting us know you're all sorted. Kudos to gg30340 and licquorice for lending a hand.

Cheers

David
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the update, good news.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Great to hear it all went smoothly. Hopefully it will stay that way but if you do have any problems or questions just post back on the forum and I'm sure somebody will be able to help.

0 Ratings