Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

BT INFINITY CONTINUOUS DELAYS - POOR COMMUNICATION AND SERVICE

Forum,

Today like many others I found a further delay to the expected delay to my BT INFINITY service being activated. My exchange has been activated for months, but my cabinet has not. It has been promised since March 2012, which was delayed to October 2012, then December 2012, and now it has been delayed further to March 2013. Now there is obviously a reason why this is the case, but I want to know why. I am a paying customer and I have only just renewed my contract for another year based on the fact that my service was being upgraded at the end of this year. This has made me livid as I am, (not just feel), like i am being messed around.

I particular get furious by the fact that I am paying the same as someone who recieves BT INFINITY... Why should I pay the same and get 4Mbit and then ALSO get messed about with them continuing to delay.

I have sent a complaint into BT and I am determined to speak to A.) Someone actually from the UK and B.) Get an answer as to why the below cabinet is being delayed once again

SDHYWRD HAYWARDS HEATH RH164TS {SDHYWRD}{P56} 0 100% 9.43 9a Yes
FTTC

Deans post and the subsequent one from the customer care manager is useless (like most customer care personel from BT) since the comments about the links providing "Specific Cabinet Information" is no existant and only provides exchange related information.... Kind of expect this kind of misguided information from BT... Something you seem to automatically become accustom to.

My message to BT is """Sort Yourselves Out""" Yes there can be delays, but to continuously change dates and annoy your customers is not the way to do business. Also, stop ripping customers off making them pay for sub-standard services at the same rate as those on better. Normal broadband should be way down now. If i knew i would get messed about again I wouldnt of renewed my contract for another 12 months.... THATS FOR SURE!!!

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT INFINITY CONTINUOUS DELAYS - POOR COMMUNICATION AND SERVICE

There are many problems that can occur when dealing with setting up the FTTC cabinets, these cause delays.

Many of these problems are not caused by BT, so they do not have any control on delays.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Thank You for your useless reply... Do you work for BT by any chance??

Dont you think its strange that almost everyone that was promsied BT Infinity at the end of March 2012, then October 2012, then December 2012, is not being pushed out to March 2013..... BT must have some serious project management planning issues as these other so called planning delays can have been highlighted well before now (such as planning permission, electrical problems, subsidence etc etc) Plus with the fact that so many people have slipped once again, i think it is the case of BT just fobbing people........

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 19

Hi garethlevans,

There are many reasons why the deployment and activation of new FTTC cabinets in a Fibre enabled exchange area can be delayed. Ratty2012 is correct in saying that most of these delays can be caused by other factors and not by Openreach themselves.

BT Infinity is just BT Retails brandname for Fibre broadband (FTTC and FTTP). 

The deployment and management of the fibre broadband for the majority of the UK is done by Openreach.

BT Retail who provides BT Infinity has nothing to do with the deployment and management of Openreach's fibre network.

Unfortunately BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP who operates this forum) does not have much say as to when and if you will be able to get FTTC or FTTP/H based broadband such as BT Infinity

Some problems that can cause delays are:

1) Local council planning permission rejected or delayed.

2) The cabinet is not suitable for FTTC broadband

3) There isn't a adequate power supply

4) Health and safety issues

5) No ducting or inadequate ducting

plus lots more.

The build of the fibre broadband infrastructure in the area isn't always easy and can be very complex.

Openreach's Fibre broadband website is http://superfast-openreach.co.uk/

Also when you enter your postcode into the Openreach where and when website here: http://superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ . Does a yellow pin appear near your address. If so then there is a delay.

**The Fibre-Optic Broadband Rollout is being managed and done by Openreach for all communication providers/ISPs.
BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout of fibre broadband.**

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

Thank you for your template reply.

In relation to "Also when you enter your postcode into the Openreach where and when website here: http://superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ . Does a yellow pin appear near your address. If so then there is a delay."

No there is no yellow marker. In fact the online thing it shows are the Exchanges. One of which is Haywards Heath, which i am connected to and is enabled for FTTC.

So where is this information in relation to cabinets may i ask which is mentioned as being available after August 2012??

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 19

Getting angry, or replying sarcasticly to people who are trying to help you will not speed up the process of getting FTTC enabled, and also lowers the chance of them helping you in the future.

There is NOTHING that can be done to speed it up, it is done when Openreach are happy the cabinet is properly working, I know I would be complaining more if my internet was dropping off every 5 seconds because Openreach rushed the process because of hounding customers. The fact that every installation is different doesn't help, blocked ducts, problems with powering the cabinet etc all add time. Try emailing Openreach themselves and see if they have any answers 

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/submitFeedback.do?contactReason=general_enquiry

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 7 of 19

The estimated dates which all communication providers who either use the BT Wholesale network or Openreach Fibre network get the estimation dates from either BT Wholesale or Openreach. You can try http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl and enter your phone number or address and it should give you an estimated date for your when your cabinet is estimated to become activated.

As TomGo has said, being impatient will get you no where, you can try the link that TomGo has given your to contact Openreach  or you can also try nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk but Openreach are very busy at the moment so you may not get an immediate reply.

**The Fibre-Optic Broadband Rollout is being managed and done by Openreach for all communication providers/ISPs.
BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout of fibre broadband.**

cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 19

As BT make it so inconvenient to send in a complaint, I'm going to add it to this forum.

BT Infinity was supposed to be installed last week, but no engineer arrived or even telephoned.  Another date was selected by BT for today, I've just received a call to say that the engineer now won't be coming today!

I have given BT 3 more dates on which the engineer may install Infinity.  This forum submission is to give notice that if none of the dates I have selected 27th, 29th 30th December 2012 is chosen for the engineer to instal BT, I will cancel my contract with BT.  If I am given one of these dates but the engineer does not arrive, I will also cancel the contract. Should this occur the router will be left on the doorstep for BT to come to collect.

I will also demand the return of all monies due to me, if necessary I will take BT to small claims to do so.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 19

My area has had the same delays since June 2012 when I signed up. The following is the pop-up from the where and when. The exact area involved is new build 6 years old and there is a different cabinet location at the end of the road - so this shows how stupid things can get and in this case doesn't appear to be completely openreach's fault. Obviously this doesn't help you but it does show the problems that can be encountered

This marker shows cabinet: P84 Which is linked to exchange: BRIDGWATER Please note: This is the intended area for the cabinet that will provide fibre broadband services to your postcode. We are in ongoing discussion with your council about the location of this cabinet.
This is rare in the context of our overall deployment, but installing one of our street cabinets can sometimes meet with planning issues, such as where the area in question is deemed a Conservation Area. In these situations we work closely with your Council and perform more than one survey to try and find an alternative location. Unfortunately in this case we have not been able to locate one so far. We will continue to work on this and apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.
If you would like any more information feel free to contact us at nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk
Please refer to our FAQ section for details

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 19

This is nothing to do with Bridgewater which I believe is in Somerset, I am about 70 miles away in Surrey, so I don't quite understand your e-mail.

I you read my forum entry, today is the 2nd time the engineers have not turned up, absolutely no reasons have been given other than the engineers have cancelled (and in the first case did not even phone - very definitely Openreache's fault).  The rest of our road is linked up, so there are no cabinet problems.

0 Ratings