Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackiejock
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

BT INFINITY USAGE

Go to solution

HI THERE.. NEW TO THIS FORUM ... I HAVE RECENTLY CHANGED TO BT INFINITY WITH 40GB USAGE. I WAS ON NORMAL BROADBAND WITH 10GB BEFORE WHICH WAS MORE THAN ADEQUATE FOR OVER 2 YRS, HOWEVER I UPGRADED TO 40GB AS I WAS LEARNING HOW TO DOWNLOAD MUSIC AND FILMS, WHICH NEEDED MORE GB OBVIOUSLY.... I ONLY SEND A FEW EMAILS A MONTH, I USE FACEBOOK WHERE SOMETIMES I SHARE JOKES/PICTURES FROM FRIENDS TO MY STATUS. I HAVE USED I/PLAYER OR STV/PLAYER A FEW TIMES OVER LAST FEW YRS, BUT NOT SINCE I UPGRADED TO BT INFINITY. I RECD A WARNING IN NOVEMBER I WAS NEARING MY USAGE, DESPITE CHECKING MY USUAGE MONITOR WHILE DOWNLOADING MUSIC AND FILMS, AND A FEW DOWNLOADED PROGRAMS (AND WAS WITHIN MY USAGE RIGHT UP TO END OF MONTH), THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN I WAS ALERTED I USED OVER 60GB, IN SPACE OF LAST DAY??  I WASNT CHARGED AS THIS WAS FIRST TIME I HAD GONE OVER ... ANYWAY , TO CUT A LONG STORY AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE. LAST MONTH I DOWNLOADED 2 FILMS, AND ONE MUSIC ALBUM, AND SHARED QUITE A FEW FACEBOOK JOKES/PICS, SENT A COUPLE OF EMAILS AND BROWSED INTERNET AS I USALLY DO ... AND WAS WELL WITHIN MY USUAGE RIGHT UP UNTIL END OF MONTH..... NOW THIS MONTH ONLY ON 2ND DAY OF MONTH ... I HAVE ONLY BROWSED INTERNET, SEND COUPLE OF EMAILS AND SHARED 5 JOKES/PICS ON FACEBOOK ... NOT DOWNLOADED ANY PROGRAMS, MUSIC OR FILMS OR USED I/PLAYER OR OTHER PLAYERS, YET I CHECKED MY USUAGE AND FOUND I HAVE USED NEARLY 8GB, WHICH SHOWS IF I CONTINUE LIKE THIS I WILL GO OVER USUAGE YET AGAIN..... THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING, AS IM FINDING IM CHECKING MY BROADBAND USAGE EVERYDAY AND NOT ENJOYING USING INTERNET...   ANYBODY ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS AND THINKING SAME??????   CANNOT BELIEVE NOT THAT LONG AGO I WASNT EVEN USING 10GB PER MONTH, AND NOW IM STRUGGLING WITH 40GB .... AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH ... SOMETHING NOT QUITE RIGHT HERE ... PLEASE HELPPPPPP  .. CHEERS

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT INFINITY USAGE

Go to solution

@jackiejock wrote:

HI THERE.. NEW TO THIS FORUM ... I HAVE RECENTLY CHANGED TO BT INFINITY WITH 40GB USAGE. I WAS ON NORMAL BROADBAND WITH 10GB BEFORE WHICH WAS MORE THAN ADEQUATE FOR OVER 2 YRS, HOWEVER I UPGRADED TO 40GB AS I WAS LEARNING HOW TO DOWNLOAD MUSIC AND FILMS, WHICH NEEDED MORE GB OBVIOUSLY.... I ONLY SEND A FEW EMAILS A MONTH, I USE FACEBOOK WHERE SOMETIMES I SHARE JOKES/PICTURES FROM FRIENDS TO MY STATUS. I HAVE USED I/PLAYER OR STV/PLAYER A FEW TIMES OVER LAST FEW YRS, BUT NOT SINCE I UPGRADED TO BT INFINITY. I RECD A WARNING IN NOVEMBER I WAS NEARING MY USAGE, DESPITE CHECKING MY USUAGE MONITOR WHILE DOWNLOADING MUSIC AND FILMS, AND A FEW DOWNLOADED PROGRAMS (AND WAS WITHIN MY USAGE RIGHT UP TO END OF MONTH), THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN I WAS ALERTED I USED OVER 60GB, IN SPACE OF LAST DAY??  I WASNT CHARGED AS THIS WAS FIRST TIME I HAD GONE OVER ... ANYWAY , TO CUT A LONG STORY AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE. LAST MONTH I DOWNLOADED 2 FILMS, AND ONE MUSIC ALBUM, AND SHARED QUITE A FEW FACEBOOK JOKES/PICS, SENT A COUPLE OF EMAILS AND BROWSED INTERNET AS I USALLY DO ... AND WAS WELL WITHIN MY USUAGE RIGHT UP UNTIL END OF MONTH..... NOW THIS MONTH ONLY ON 2ND DAY OF MONTH ... I HAVE ONLY BROWSED INTERNET, SEND COUPLE OF EMAILS AND SHARED 5 JOKES/PICS ON FACEBOOK ... NOT DOWNLOADED ANY PROGRAMS, MUSIC OR FILMS OR USED I/PLAYER OR OTHER PLAYERS, YET I CHECKED MY USUAGE AND FOUND I HAVE USED NEARLY 8GB, WHICH SHOWS IF I CONTINUE LIKE THIS I WILL GO OVER USUAGE YET AGAIN..... THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING, AS IM FINDING IM CHECKING MY BROADBAND USAGE EVERYDAY AND NOT ENJOYING USING INTERNET...   ANYBODY ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS AND THINKING SAME??????   CANNOT BELIEVE NOT THAT LONG AGO I WASNT EVEN USING 10GB PER MONTH, AND NOW IM STRUGGLING WITH 40GB .... AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH ... SOMETHING NOT QUITE RIGHT HERE ... PLEASE HELPPPPPP  .. CHEERS

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Please can you not write in all capitals, it's actually hard to read and is called "shouting". Thanks.

May I suggest you also make a daily note of your hub usage figures. Though that is real time as opposed to the online usage monitor which is up to 23:59 each day - it can be used as a guide for comparison.

What does the online usage monitor show as download/upload separately ? If you are not seeing both figures, then you may not be looking at the latest online monitor (see my shortcuts, link below, option 14j). You may not actually be looking at the online monitor (if so, what are you using ?), as you say you've checked 2 days worth - but based on the date/time posted, the figures for the 2nd day are not added yet - and tend not to be shown until after 7.30am the next day.

When you do check, make a note of the date shown.

After a 2-3 of days of checking, you should be able to do some comparisons.

Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Just a couple of questions, how are you downloading films? i.e. What website/Software are you using?

Also you say that you share jokes from friends, are these jokes you receive by email? I have know a lot of people catch viruses from these sorts of things and maybe thats what is using your usage.

jackiejock
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

hi there, i am using torrent sites. i have a very good virus protection on my laptop..  and when i am logged into facebook.. and a friend has a joke or picture on their status i sometimes share this on my wall.... i dont open jokes or pictures on my emails.

i havnt downloaded music or films in january atall .. on shared a few pictures on my facebook status which is very little mbs's to my knowledge.  but up until midnight last nite i had used nearly 8gb of my usage... lastnights usage showed as  ....

upload 7.85 gb      download 0.49      total used 7.85

i would like to point out i get 500mb of data on my mobile phone, where i can .... send emails,browse internet, upload/share pictures to my facebook status, chat on facebook and have never gone over the 500mb on my phone, which proves to me that by doing this on my phone it does not use alot of data .... pls note i do not use my mobile on wireless set up through bt, i pay for this through o2.

i am at a loss as to how i can be using so much on my laptop??  i have paid for internet for over 2/3 yrs and have always used very little before.  this has only started happening last few months...

0 Ratings
jackiejock
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

sorry about capitals .. not a typist to be honest .. thanks for your input ... i am using correct monitor.. and usually check it after midnight, and it confirms the date of usage etc ... i am intentionally only using internet for browsing at the moment for this month as i want to check after midnight each days usage to see if i can find out where i am going wrong in not being aware of how much data is being used for ie. browsing and emails only.  i will then next wk .. use my facebook as normal, i wont browse or email, and that way i can see how much data i use on facebook... then the following week i will use internet for downloading 1 film and 1 music file and then check usage again... this is so frustrating and confusing for me at this time.... as ive said i have been doing all this for some months now on my 40gb option, and it only feels since i got BT Infinity installed that things have changed drastically, i never used to near or go over my usage before...

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

@jackiejock wrote:

hi there, i am using torrent sites. i have a very good virus protection on my laptop..  and when i am logged into facebook.. and a friend has a joke or picture on their status i sometimes share this on my wall.... i dont open jokes or pictures on my emails.

i havnt downloaded music or films in january atall .. on shared a few pictures on my facebook status which is very little mbs's to my knowledge.  but up until midnight last nite i had used nearly 8gb of my usage... lastnights usage showed as  ....

upload 7.85 gb      download 0.49      total used 7.85

i would like to point out i get 500mb of data on my mobile phone, where i can .... send emails,browse internet, upload/share pictures to my facebook status, chat on facebook and have never gone over the 500mb on my phone, which proves to me that by doing this on my phone it does not use alot of data .... pls note i do not use my mobile on wireless set up through bt, i pay for this through o2.

i am at a loss as to how i can be using so much on my laptop??  i have paid for internet for over 2/3 yrs and have always used very little before.  this has only started happening last few months...

As you are using torrents to download films, you must be aware that not only are downloading them, you are also uploading them to others, so therefore you may be uploading far more than you are downloading. This is whats known as filesharing.

jackiejock
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

ok thank you for that .. i didnt know how that worked atall ... how do i stop this??  do i take the torrent program off pc , will that stop the sharing uploads????  

i would however point out i have only downloading from torrent site for last few months, before infinity was installed too ... but never went over my usage before, not even used half of it .. so i was probably file sharing at that time too... but noone was sharing as my upload would have been too slow?? now that i am on infinity the file sharing is costing me gb's .. excuse my ignorance i am very new to uploading and downloading and as i said earlier am puzzled as to how it all works and what i am using data wise when uploading and downloading ...i am learning from internet advice and also by asking why all this is happening all of a sudden with my usage... that way i then know where all my usage is going .. and i can manage my account better ....  Smiley Embarassed

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

@jackiejock wrote:

ok thank you for that .. i didnt know how that worked atall ... how do i stop this??  do i take the torrent program off pc , will that stop the sharing uploads????  

i would however point out i have only downloading from torrent site for last few months, before infinity was installed too ... but never went over my usage before, not even used half of it .. so i was probably file sharing at that time too... but noone was sharing as my upload would have been too slow?? now that i am on infinity the file sharing is costing me gb's .. excuse my ignorance i am very new to uploading and downloading and as i said earlier am puzzled as to how it all works and what i am using data wise when uploading and downloading ...i am learning from internet advice and also by asking why all this is happening all of a sudden with my usage... that way i then know where all my usage is going .. and i can manage my account better ....  Smiley Embarassed

You're welcome.

If you don't want to go over your usage limit the best thing to do is not use torrents. Because you now have more bandwidth on the upload since being on Infinity the torrent program will upload far more than before.

jackiejock
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

thank you very much .. i have discussed all this on live chat with bt , twice, but was never advised that file sharing would be part of my usage changing drastically.... i asked twice what would be using my data and explained everything i was uploading and downloading or sharing on facebook and emails...  at least i am aware now thanks to you Smiley LOL ... glad i joined the forum now too ... this will help me alot now .... i am now stopping using the torrents as i am not technically minded in what i am doing.. i havnt downloaded much so far as i am trying to keep to the 40gb usage, but seems im paying for the option but my data is being drained by filesharing, (which i will have to look into more i think... totally ignorant here oops) ...   i am hoping now that i have taken the program off the file sharing cant happen... as much as i would like to assist others, i cant quite afford to with only being on 40gb option....  omg think i have a lot more reading to do, than i thought i did .. thankyou again.. food for thought for me

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

@jackiejock wrote:

thank you very much .. i have discussed all this on live chat with bt , twice, but was never advised that file sharing would be part of my usage changing drastically.... i asked twice what would be using my data and explained everything i was uploading and downloading or sharing on facebook and emails...  at least i am aware now thanks to you Smiley LOL ... glad i joined the forum now too ... this will help me alot now .... i am now stopping using the torrents as i am not technically minded in what i am doing.. i havnt downloaded much so far as i am trying to keep to the 40gb usage, but seems im paying for the option but my data is being drained by filesharing, (which i will have to look into more i think... totally ignorant here oops) ...   i am hoping now that i have taken the program off the file sharing cant happen... as much as i would like to assist others, i cant quite afford to with only being on 40gb option....  omg think i have a lot more reading to do, than i thought i did .. thankyou again.. food for thought for me

You're very welcome, maybe in the future you could always look at going to the unlimited package, that way you would not have to worry how much you were downloading/uploading.