cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 47

BT IPv6 with third party router

I recently abandoned my 'Smart' Home Hub 6 because of various issues and am now running with a reliable third party router and my original Open Reach Modem.

IPV4 is working 100%.

Does anyone know the correct setting for IPv6 for a third party router?

0 Ratings
46 REPLIES 46
Expert
Message 2 of 47

Re: BT IPv6 with third party router

Hi,

What make/model of router are we talking about?

In theory if the router is intended for the UK market and has no firmware bugs it should be as simple as enabling IPv6 in the Internet Settings (WAN settings) and the router takes care of the rest. (In theory).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 47

The exact settings will depend on router, BT issue DHCP assigned  /56 prefix delegated dynamic addresses. If you have a TP Link router, you will be out of luck unless they decide to update their firmware.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 47

You'll need to configure the WAN to use DHCPv6-PD (DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation) with the DHCPv6 request for a /56 prefix if that's configurable. On the LAN side, Stateless Auto Configuration (SLAAC) is probably the simplest setup.

What router are you using? There are problems with TP-Link it would seem. See from message 49 of IPv6 on Tp-Link TD-W9980.

Regards

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 47

I am using a Linksys WRT1900ACS - UK spec (AFAIK) and my original Openreach modem.
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 6 of 47

Just had a quick look at the manual.  Not a lot of info I'm afraid.  Apparently like I said initially you should just have to enable IPv6.  See page 39.  Looks like either enabled or disabled.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 47

Yes, I did 'Enable' but that did not pick up any IPv6 settings.

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=138022

It is possible to manually enter the details if they are know, which is what prompted the question.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 47

Not sure how much luck you're going to have. The 6RD is a mechanism to tunnel IPv6 over IPv4 and so not end-to-end IPv6.

Maybe raise a ticket to Linksys and ask if they support DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation as per RFC 3633. It's also worth pointing them at the IPv6 statements in section 4.4.4 of the BT Wholesale Broadband Connect of SIN 472

Regards

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 9 of 47

I like this bit.

IMPORTANT:  Not all Linksys routers are IPv6 compliant.

Before enabling IPv6 on your router, you must have the following information from your ISP:

• Network Setup Prefix
  • Prefix Length
  • Border Relay
  • IPv4 address Mask Length

Being Dynamic you can't get this info until after the router has received the prefix.  Catch 22 situation.  Basically what licquorice & smf22 said about the /56 prefix support required and the router doesn't seem to have it.

Looks like this may be another TP-Link style implementation of only supporting IPv6 tunnelling and not Native IPv6.   I think you need to complain loudly and see what they plan to do to rectify the issue.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 10 of 47

I would suggest that there is something odd afoot, when the HH6 connect IPV6 but the Openreach/Linksys Router combination do not...
0 Ratings