cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 11 of 47

Re: BT IPv6 with third party router

I'm holding off moving the router to a DD-WRT build for now, I'd like to get it working with stock build first if possible
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 12 of 47

The Hub6 is configured to work with BTs system, well, it would be wouldn't it?

The Linksys seems only to support 6RD tunnelling using IPv4 not native IPv6.

So in a nutshell that's why the hub works and the Linksys doesn't.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 47

@jjhplus9 wrote:
I would suggest that there is something odd afoot, when the HH6 connect IPV6 but the Openreach/Linksys Router combination do not...

What's odd about that? The Linksys router doesn't appear to support DHCPv6-PD, which is how BT are giving out IPv6 addresses.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 14 of 47

YEs, the HH6 would, wouldnt it...

For the avoidance of doubt, the router does support native IPv6 (and specifically DHCPv6-PD), but is not picking up the autoconfigure.
It ALSO supports 6RD.

I may move to DD-WRT build, but will still need details for the configuration

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 15 of 47

I just sent a query to Linksys tech team, I'll see what the reply is and post back.

eurosupport@belkin.com

Belkin?  Well that explains a lot.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 47

@jjhplus9 wrote:

For the avoidance of doubt, the router does support native IPv6 (and specifically DHCPv6-PD), but is not picking up the autoconfigure.

But does it support DHCPv6-PD with a /56 prefix or just a /64 like TP-Link

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 47

So according to this post, the Linksys supports DHCPv6-PD, but no details as to the prefix length supported.

As we've been saying, the /56 is important as that's exactly the problem the TP-Link currently have.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 18 of 47

That Linksys router is the WRT1900AC - which may or may not behave the same way as the later 1900ACS when it comes to IPv6 / DHCPv6-PD

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 19 of 47

@smf22 wrote:

So according to this post, the Linksys supports DHCPv6-PD, but no details as to the prefix length supported.

As we've been saying, the /56 is important as that's exactly the problem the TP-Link currently have.

As far as the TP-Link VR600 is concerned: I've had another exchange of emails with TP-Link support (who are being very helpful) and at their suggestion tried enabling IPv6 again, with DHCPv6 selected on the WAN side and RADVD/Delegated on the LAN side. They said that works for them on a BT line.

So I tried it and that now gives me 9/10 on the test-ipv6.com IPv6 stability and readiness test, which is the same score as I got with my Smart Hub, dropping a point only because of BT's DNS servers. The test at ipv6-test.com gives me 15/20 and explicitly says that I have Native IPv6.

What I don't understand, because of my profound ignorance of the technicalities, is what I haven't got by way of IPv6 connectivity that I need. The /56 prefix delegation issue hasn't been fixed yet (although TP-Link told me they will fix it in a firmware update asap) but the test sites reckon I have IPv6 anyway. Why do I care about /56 prefix delegation?

p

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 47

@prinknash wrote:

As far as the TP-Link VR600 is concerned: I've had another exchange of emails with TP-Link support (who are being very helpful) and at their suggestion tried enabling IPv6 again, with DHCPv6 selected on the WAN side and RADVD/Delegated on the LAN side. They said that works for them on a BT line.

Those are the original settings I tried on the TD-W9980 which didn't work for me. I guess the firmware is different on the VR600

0 Ratings