cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Expert
Message 31 of 47

Re: BT IPv6 with third party router

@licquorice wrote:

What!!!!!!!!!!!! Have they got a death wish?

Indeed!

Although, if I remember rightly, TP-Link started off by saying they didn't have plans but quite quickly decided that coming up with compliant new firmware was a very high priority. So maybe the penny will drop.

p

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 47

You would hope so, its not as if its just BT using PD.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 33 of 47

I have had no luck with a Billion 8800, but an ASUS RT AC51U performs impecabbly with IPV6.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 34 of 47

@stevebrass: ASUS RT AC51U seems to be just a router without a modem, so it's not comparable against HH5, HH6 and Billion 8800, all of which contain VDSL2 modems.
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 35 of 47

True - it is just a router. But the Billion can be used as just a router with PPPOE.  The prefix delegation 56 thing seems to be the issue as far as I can see.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 47

@MorgaineD wrote:
@stevebrass: ASUS RT AC51U seems to be just a router without a modem, so it's not comparable against HH5, HH6 and Billion 8800, all of which contain VDSL2 modems.

IPv6 is a router function not a modem function, so not sure of the point of your post.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 37 of 47

The point of my post was to avoid confusing non-techies who come here frustrated with HH6 and looking to buy a new CPE based on our recommendations. The difference between routers and modems and routers with integrated modems is obvious to us but not necessarily to them, so it's better to be clear about it.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 38 of 47

@stevebrass wrote:

I have had no luck with a Billion 8800, but an ASUS RT AC51U performs impecabbly with IPV6.

billion_fan on the billion forum has been able to get an IPv6 connection on his 8900AX-2400 on BT infinity 2 but the confusing thing is that the address is /64  not the expected /56.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 47

Is that the router WAN address or LAN address? I think what is happening on the TP Links is that the WAN doesn't get an address but the LAN gets a /64 address along with connected devices.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 40 of 47

@conrad wrote:
billion_fan on the billion forum has been able to get an IPv6 connection on his 8900AX-2400 on BT infinity 2 but the confusing thing is that the address is /64  not the expected /56.

That sounds like my TP-Link VR600. Everything here is connected via IPv6 but because TP-Link devices can't (yet) handle /56 delegation, there are some oddities in the implementation. Specifically, I couldn't create multiple subnets or connect with the router from the WAN side (but I don't want to do either). There's also a question mark whether the IPv6 firewall is working properly, so I make sure software firewalls are in place as appropriate. I've been assured, though, that TP-Link is in the process of making new firmware available to overcome these issues.

p

0 Ratings