Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kuro
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT Incompetancy, need advice please :(

Hello everyone (sorry for the long post),

I seem to be having trouble getting BT to do a simple phone line installation.  This is my situation so far:

I placed an order for a new phone line with BT on approx Friday 26th july to Sunday 28th July (around the time i moved in, need to find out the exact date).  I paid the whole year's line rental in full, paid the installation charge, and was given an engineer date of 6th August between 1pm - 6pm. So far so good...

So at 8:10am on August 6th i get a call from the engineer telling me he is coming, and he arrives very soon thereafter.  It was great he came early, but because i wasent expecting him, and due to the early time, i couldnt obtain the key to the basement from the landlord so he could access the box down there (i live in an apartment block).  So he left me his mobile number and told me to call him when i had access.

Sometime around 9am i managed to get the key and called the engineer to come back.  He strips some of the bare wire that ran into the apartment, hooked up a tester device, and went to the basement.  In the basement he fumbled around trying to find the other end of this wire, and ultimetely failed to find it. he then proceeded to tell me how this was my landlords problem as the cable was not there (my landlord assures me that it is).  The engineer left, and the job was not done, there was bare wire sitting in my kitchen and no phone socket...

I rang BT and told them about the situation, and the support rep assured me they would send another engineer who would arrive the same day before 6pm. I waited for this engineer, and he never came...

At 6pm i rang BT and complained, and they told me i would receive a phone call tomorrow (7th) with an update on what the engineering team are going to do.  When i complained to the representative about how to situation was unacceptable and about the lack of communication within BT, she hung up on me (even though i was never once rude).

So i rang them on the morning of the 7th (today) to confirm, and they told me the same thing, that i would receive a phone call.  I waited until 6:30pm until i decided that i should ring them since i had received no call.  The support rep told me i would need to book another engineer who would come on the 29th!!!  i told him that was totally unacceptable and asked to speak to his manager.  he put me on hold to speak with his manager himself, and when he returned he told me he had filed a complaint for me and had me write down the complaint reference number (

VOL01279725931***).  he then told me he promised to contact me tomorrow (8th) before 9pm with a new appointment date for the engineer.

That is the situation right now. As i type this, tomorrow will be the 8th and i don't know what to do from here.  From what has already been demonstrated to me so far, i don't believe BT have the competancy to even call me back tomorrow.  Should i start putting a case together for the ombudsman / OFCOM?  I booked this week off work in order to do this kind of stuff, and its already taking so long thanks to incompetancy on BT's part.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

-John

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Incompetancy, need advice please :(

I believe Ofcom do not handle individual complaints (see http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/service-problems/ )  If you have to have been in dispute for 8 weeks you can go to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme which includes an ombudsman.  So you have plenty of time to prepare your case.

0 Ratings
StuartH
Message 3 of 8

Hi Kuro

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to learn of the problems you have been experiencing. Please send us an email using the contact us link in my profile, you will be able to view this link in the section 'About Me'.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
kuro
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Hello StuartH,

After further incompetancy over the telephone and no interest in resolveing the issue quickly, i have decided i am going to ditch BT (even if it takes much longer to get a working line after that).  I simply cannot deal with this level of 'service', and knowing that if i ever needed to call BT for anything what so ever, i would have a hell of a time trying to get anything done with them.

As i type this i am in the queue for a ringback to cancel.  What i will tell them is that if they cannot get an engineer out by tomorrow, then i will accept a full refund and that will be the end of the matter. No debates, no haggling, done, finished!

Thank you for your interest in wanting to help, i just simply doubt that you can is all (no disrespect).

-John

0 Ratings
kuro
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

I have just got off the 'phone' with BT.  I have cancelled the line and have demanded a full refund of all charges (which they tell me they have done).

Thank you to everyone who has offered help or advice.  I shall not be returning, nor will i consider BT services again in the future...

-John

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Sorry that  the offer of help from the forum mod team  was  not  going to help you they  have a very good reputation for getting problems solved and would of provided you with a single point of contact until all is resolved 

please just be aware that unless you are in a cable area whichever provider you go to will still be using Openreach to carry out the installation and maintenance and under OFCOM rules Openreach provide equal service to each provider

0 Ratings
kuro
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I am in a cable area, although i would prefer to avoid cable.  i am aware other companies must use BT's infrastructure unless they go and fit their own gear into the cabinets. Despite that, my major issue is the way this entire thing was handled (or rather, not really handled at all).

At least with the company i choose to go with (the same one who provides my broadband), i know that if the openreach engineer drops a bollock, the company i will be dealing with will do everything in their power to help or compensate me (hopefully... they have been brilliant for the last 4 years with broadband...).  BT on the other hand has been a shambles from start to finish. if BT did not own most of the infrastructure i believe that either they would be better (competition), or would have simply failed...

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

just one correction to your post it is not the cabinet that has other ISP's equipment in the LLU providers put the equipment in the exchange
0 Ratings