Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glenhill68
Expert
Message 1 of 41

BT Infinity 1 speed constantly dropping

Hi,

When i joined BT I was told I would get 52mb and for the first few months I was getting around 49mb which i thought was fair enough.

Then a few months later it dropped to 42mb. Then just over a week ago it dropped to 37mb and then tonight it has dropped to 30mb.

I took aleap of fiath last May after being with Sky 10 years and joined BT after they promised very good speeds. I am now very unhappy as they are not even fulfilling their minimum speed.

Looking at these forums it seems these quite common. BT need to address this asap as otherwise customera like myself will just leave and take their custom and money elsewhere.

0 Ratings
40 REPLIES 40
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 41

Re: BT Infinity 1 speed constantly dropping

Can you post the results for your telephone number from http://www.dslchecker.bt.com please.

Can you also post up the connection stats from your home hub?

Where is the router connected? The master socket or an extension?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 3 of 41

Thanks for the reply.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

HighLowHighLow        

VDSL Range A (Clean)46.7357.96--Available--------
VDSL Range B (Impacted)34.617.97.54--

Available

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 4 of 41

Information for Helpdesk agents
When contacting the BT Broadband helpdesk, the agent might ask you for details about your BT Home Hub. This page contains all of the information they are likely to request.

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ34538805
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 05/07/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:39:39
6. Data rate:6828 / 35000
7. Maximum data rate:6969 / 51431
8. Noise margin:6.2 / 8.7
9. Line attenuation:33.7 / 23.8
10. Signal attenuation:33.3 / 21.5
11. Data sent/received:675.2 MB / 1.1 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-PGJG
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 300 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:6
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-PGJG
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:48
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:18:62:2c:4c:18:e8
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 41

Where is the router connected?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 6 of 41

The master sockey is in the dinign room with the phoner connected to it. The hub is connected to the socket in the living room, this had a new double face plate fitted and wiring fixed by a BT engineer a few months ago. he said I don't need any filters.

I spoke to BT online chat, they got me to do various stuff that I am familiar with as I work in IT. They said there was interference on the line and they ahve cleared it apparently. I have pwoered off and on the hub again. She said she will ring me on Thursday evening to check, not sure anything will change.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 41

They're talking rubbish.

As it happens, you're in a banded profile (your line is capable of 51meg). The only way to have that removed is by an engineer visit.
glenhill68
Expert
Message 8 of 41

Should I take this up with BT as I thought it was rubbish too. If my line is capable of 51mb why would my speed be dropping?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 41

@glenhill68 wrote:

The master sockey is in the dinign room with the phoner connected to it. The hub is connected to the socket in the living room, this had a new double face plate fitted and wiring fixed by a BT engineer a few months ago. he said I don't need any filters.

If you have one of these fitted.

newnte.jpg

Please can you make sure that when the bottom section is taken off, the phone in the dining rooom stops working?

If it keeps working, then its possible that your internal wiring is incorrect, as that phone should be fed from the new filtered socket, otherwise it will affect your broadband connection, unless it has a microfilter in the lead to the phone.

0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 10 of 41

I have one of those fitted in the living room with just the top socket used for the hub.

The master socket is in the dining room with just one socket that the phone is connected. This does not have a filter as the BT engineer said it didn't need one, should I use one for the master socket?

The socket in the living room was fitted by the engineer and he did some wiring work too. This was a few months ago, the speed drops have been more recent.

0 Ratings