Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

BT Infinity 2 - Bought 200Mbps powerline adapters and lost 23Mbps

Go to solution

Hi! 🙂

I had BT Infinity 2 installed this week and was happy to see that I was getting 75Mbps down and 17Mbps up via ethernet cables.  However, I really want a cableless solution.  I bought a TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps twin pack, had no problem setting it up, but my speed has dropped to 52Mbps down and 14.6Mbps up.

After looking at the diagnostic tool, I found that the quality was hovering between 140-150Mbps.  So I have a couple of questions:

1.  Is there anything I can do with these existing adapters in order to improve my speed?

2.  Would buying 500Mbps adapters and using those instead allow me to get the full use of my connection?

I've tried moving the adapters around the house but I've not noticed a lot of difference.  The computer is upstairs with one adapter and the other is downstairs, plugged into the mains right next to my hub.  I'd really like to be able to make full use of what I'm paying for so I'd be grateful for a little advice.

Thanks,

John

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT Infinity 2 - Bought 200Mbps powerline adapters and lost 23Mbps

Go to solution

It depends on the make that you buy. 500Mbps ones should do the job much better than 200 tho. I have a cheapo pair of 500Mbps that I got from Ebuyer some time ago, I get close enough to my full sync speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

As you have found, unfortunately the connection synch speed of powerline adapters does not equate to their actual throughput. There is a lot of error correction overhead that means actual throughput is much less than synch.

I haven't been able to find a definitive conversion between synch speed and throughput for powerline adapters, I think because a lot depends upon how noisy your environment is. However you should be aware that going from 200 to 500Mbps adapters doesn't mean that your throughput wilI increase by 2.5 times.

That said inyour case it may be sufficient to transfer your full Infinity rate. I have found that 500Mbps Netgear adapters were capable of transferring at 72Mbps down / 16Mbps up between my downstairs router and my upstairs PC, but only after I fiddled with their QoS settings to prioritise the PC line over my smart TVs which also use adapters on the same LAN.

PS. The netgears were synching at about 450Mbps to achieve this throughput.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

They say that reterminating and tightening the cables in the back of the power sockets can improve speeds quite a bit.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

I too was very disappointed with the efficacy of my Netgear powerline adapters.

I recognise that it's not the ideal solution for everyone but I overcame it by installing a hard wired network by drilling through the external walls using the "a la Sky or Virgin" method. Means all the wires on the outside of the house and they all terminate in a switch which goes to the router.

You can do what I did which was to do the first fix myself and then got a tame sparks to come and connect up the faceplates. he was happy as it saved him work - I was happy as it meant the patchboxes and cabling was done exactly how I wanted it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks a lot for the detailed responses. 

I tried some more testing this morning and I was quite surprised to note that even virtually in the same room (one socket in the hallway and one just tucked inside the door), the speed would only reach 55Mbps (an increase of 2.5Mbps).  There are no appliances in that area of the house so I can only assume the wiring quality isn't that great.  It just seems strange that from a room only a few feet away in comparison to a room upstairs, I only lose 2.5Mbps. 

Having said that, I think I'll order some 500Mbps adapters because I'm quite curious now as to what the difference will be.  If it doesn't work out I can always send them back.  Now I just need to choose a set. 😉

Thanks again and enjoy your weekend.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
deathreap, when you say about the power socket's, can you clarify, do you mean literally what you plug everything into, i've never heard what you said before.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

As a rule of thumb I'd say 200Mbps adapters are only good for ADSL2+ connections, whereas Infinity connections really require 500Mbps or higher adapters to minimise speed loss in distribution.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

@astar27 wrote:
deathreap, when you say about the power socket's, can you clarify, do you mean literally what you plug everything into, i've never heard what you said before.

Yes the actual wall sockets. Over time the connections can degrade and loosen which can cause the loss of a lot of bandwidth.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Think I'm lucky, but I get my full 76 sync speed over 200 adaptors 🙂

0 Ratings